+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Visa (Inland) for Irish Husband and his Children

Bexxy

Dec 29, 2010
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I've only had a chance to skim through some of the other threads, so please forgive me if I am being repetative... I'm hoping someone out there can give me some advice...

My story basically goes like this...

I have lived in Ireland for about 3.5 years and been married to my Irish National husband for 2.5 years. We recently decided that because of Ireland's economic climate (and a number of other issues), we would prefer to live in Canada. I have contacted Campbell Cohen and will be paying my deposit (first week of January) to have their firm help us with my husband's Family Sponsorship Visa application (I want to make sure that everything is filled-in correctly to hopefully avoid the paperwork being sent back) and we are hoping to have all of the necessary forms filled out and ready to file by mid-late January. The thing is... we flew to Canada Christmas eve (with his three children, all under 18, from a previous relationship) stating that we were visiting my family and although my husband and his sons are from Ireland and I read that Irish tourists are entitled to a 6-month stay, their passports were only stamped for a 3-month stay. How hard is it to get an extension on a tourist Visa? Do we explain in our application for an extension that we are waiting for my husband's (and son's) Family Sponsorship Visa's to be processed or will this put a red flag on our account (what else could we put? Is visiting family a valid reason for requesting a tourist Visa extension)? Or, do we cross the Canadian/ American border and then try to come back to Canada (and, if so, do we explain the reason why we have crossed the border or do we state that we're still visiting relatives - which wouldn't be a lie, because my family lives in Canada)? It seems like the Inland applications tend to be quite slow... so does anyone else have any experience with what to do while waiting and hoping?? Originally I was told that even with applying from within Canada the application process should only take 4-6 months (which is why we decided to come to Canada as we did in the first place), but it seems that a lot of people on this forum have waited a lot longer so I'm a bit concerned as to what to do! (What if we flew back to Ireland for a week or so and then flew back to Canada? Would any comments be passed on our quick return? Any advice would be much appreciated!!!!

Bexxy

Dec 29, 2010
Also... Is it possible to apply as an Outland Visa rather than Inland Visa since, technically, my husband doesn't live in Canada as he is only in Canada on a tourist Visa? I know we'd probably have to fly back to Ireland or England for interviews, but that wouldn't be a hassle...

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
You can apply outland while inside Canada as long as the applicant is able to return to the country through which they applied if they are required for an interview.

IMO, if your application is straightforward and your husband doesnt have a criminal conviction or complicated history, then you are wasting your money on a lawyer to type in the answers to all of the questions that you are going to have to still do all the hard legwork for.

We went back and forth about a lawyer before we began and once I downloaded the forms and looked at them I realized they werent that complicated.

An extension can be easily applied for.... many on here have done so and you can search for posts about that.

If the lawyer you consulted told you that an inland application only takes 4-6 months then you should definitely rethink hiring them as the CIC website clearly states timelines for inland applications are 9+ for first stage approval.

Good luck

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Outland through the London office is a lot faster than inland and he can still be visiting you in Canada while you wait for outland. 4-6 months sounds like outland through London.

Inland is more like 9 months to first stage approval and work permit and a year to 18 months to get PR.

If you want to extend his visit visa, you should apply when it still has a month to expire and you should give as a reason that you have applied for sponsorship and want to wait it out in Canada. Generally they would approve.

If you apply inland, he and his sons should preferably not leave Canada because living in Canada is a requirement for inland and should it happen that he leaves and is denied entry to get back in Canada, the application is automatically cancelled.