+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for USA visa with RTD

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
You don't need to apologize for that, thank you for your intervention! You're totally right. It's also because you're still a protected person in Canada, even though you got your PR through another program you're still entitled for a travel document as a protected person. For the sake of making this argument, you don't even need to apply for permanent residence if you're a protected person. You can live the rest of your life in Canada only on protected person status. But of course it's better to apply, since you'll be able to work and study without a permission (permits) and then after a few years you get to apply for citizenship.
Well said

Violet flower

Oct 14, 2018
Hello, I received my Refugee Travel Document two weeks ago and I would like to apply for a USA visit visa. I don’t know where to start or how things are going to be. I am a permanent resident of Canada.
Good afternoon,

Juts following up, did you apply for the visa. I recieved my RTD last week and I wanna apply too, would appreciate it if you could share your experience.

Regards

Mr.speaker

Sep 22, 2018
Hi guys,

I'm refugee and I got my PR finally yesterday, I crossed illegally to Canada from USA, I had a valid visitor visa to US that time.
My question : I want to apply for USA visa, using my RTD & PR.
Is there anyone have a same experience?
Do I have chance to get a visa?

Ali94

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
Hi guys,

I'm refugee and I got my PR finally yesterday, I crossed illegally to Canada from USA, I had a valid visitor visa to US that time.

Congratulation.
Can you share your timeline, please ?

amplua

May 4, 2019
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Category........
Hi guys,

If you asked this question somewhere else and get some answers could you please share it with me? I'm in the same situation, so I wonder if I can apply for us visa as well.
I heart something about "pardon letter to usa government", but I have no idea how to prepare and where to send it

Dhillu62

Mar 11, 2019
Hello, I received my Refugee Travel Document two weeks ago and I would like to apply for a USA visit visa. I don’t know where to start or how things are going to be. I am a permanent resident of Canada.
Hello,

I am a Convention Refugee here in Canada and last week i finally got my Permanent Residency. At the Interview, they gave my National Passports back.
Now, i want to apply for US Visitor Visa. Do i need a RTD or can i use my National Passport..?
CIC officer at my Interview told that i can use my National Passport to travel anywhere except for my Home Country.

Please and Thanks.

amplua

May 4, 2019
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Category........
Hello,

I am a Convention Refugee here in Canada and last week i finally got my Permanent Residency. At the Interview, they gave my National Passports back.
Now, i want to apply for US Visitor Visa. Do i need a RTD or can i use my National Passport..?
CIC officer at my Interview told that i can use my National Passport to travel anywhere except for my Home Country.

Please and Thanks.
No, it's wrong information. If you are refugee you CANNOT use your travel document. Apply for canadian RTD and use it. If you enter to any country with you country's travel document and something happens you'll have to contact with your embassy, and it's forbidden for refugees.
Ifnyou travel with RTD you will contact with Canadian embassy cause you are still under protection of Canadian government.
Another thing, during applyin for RTD you will have to send them your travel document and PR. With your PR they will give you 5 years RTD and will keep your travel document. Each person may have only ONE travel document, so never use your natiinal travel document!!!

Reactions: live&love

Dhillu62

Mar 11, 2019
No, it's wrong information. If you are refugee you CANNOT use your travel document. Apply for canadian RTD and use it. If you enter to any country with you country's travel document and something happens you'll have to contact with your embassy, and it's forbidden for refugees.
Ifnyou travel with RTD you will contact with Canadian embassy cause you are still under protection of Canadian government.
Another thing, during applyin for RTD you will have to send them your travel document and PR. With your PR they will give you 5 years RTD and will keep your travel document. Each person may have only ONE travel document, so never use your natiinal travel document!!!
Oh ok. Thanks for the valuable info.
I will send them my National Passport along with my PR card while applying for RTD.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
They ask me which type of visa you would like to apply for! All types don’t apply to me, the closest one was visitor exchange which I chose.

I answered all the questions until I got to a page where they said, “you have indicated that at some capacity you will be studying in the US, give us two references etc..,”

I never indicated that, any advice please?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
They ask me which type of visa you would like to apply for! All types don’t apply to me, the closest one was visitor exchange which I chose.

I answered all the questions until I got to a page where they said, “you have indicated that at some capacity you will be studying in the US, give us two references etc..,”

I never indicated that, any advice please?
So which of these non immigrant visas did you select , B2 visitor/tourist ?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/all-visa-categories.html

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
So I filled in the application form and they issued me a confirmation page with all my info on it. Now I need to pay the visa fee and schedule an interview. I called the embassy in Toronto, they gave me a website to pay the fees, but it seems to be something wrong with the website.

Anyone knows how to pay the fees & schedule an interview please?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So I filled in the application form and they issued me a confirmation page with all my info on it. Now I need to pay the visa fee and schedule an interview. I called the embassy in Toronto, they gave me a website to pay the fees, but it seems to be something wrong with the website.

Anyone knows how to pay the fees & schedule an interview please?
Would wait until tomorrow because there may just be a technical issue with the website.

Biochemist

Star Member
May 21, 2019
Anyone from the travel ban countries: North Korea, Syria, Iran, Yemen, Libya, Somalia and Venezuela successfully received a tourist US visa on the Canadian refugee travel document?

If so, was it multiple entry, and how long was the validity? 3 months, 5 years, or 10 years?