+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for USA visa with RTD

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Hello, I received my Refugee Travel Document two weeks ago and I would like to apply for a USA visit visa. I don’t know where to start or how things are going to be. I am a permanent resident of Canada.

Ameeroov

Star Member
May 11, 2017
Mississauga
Hello, I received my Refugee Travel Document two weeks ago and I would like to apply for a USA visit visa. I don’t know where to start or how things are going to be. I am a permanent resident of Canada.
I just it last month , very simple
Go online and apply you need
- us visa specific photo
-Visa card 160$
-proof of status in Canada (pr)
-proof of income
-bank statement of last 3 months
-be honest
-book appointment and explain why you wanna go to us
Best of luck
Any question don’t hesitate

Reactions: live&love

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
- us visa specific photo
-Visa card 160$
-proof of income
-be honest
Best of luck
Thank you so much :)

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
- us visa specific photo
-Visa card 160$
-proof of income
-be honest
Best of luck
Do you have the website that you used?

Damiz

Nov 30, 2018
If someone come from the US border to canada, can that person be considered.

what if the person is just have a RTD but has no pr card?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: amplua

sonoo

Feb 12, 2019
Hey , can you please tell me , if somebody refugee case is already denial , still living here for so many years , they can apply for refugee travel document? if yes , So please tell me how to apply?
i will appreciate your response.
thank you

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Hey , can you please tell me , if somebody refugee case is already denial , still living here for so many years , they can apply for refugee travel document? if yes , So please tell me how to apply?
thank you
It depends on your status in Canada. If you have not been accepted as a "Convention Refugee" or as a "person in need of protection" then there is no way you can get a refugee travel document. But, if you somehow managed to get a PR through some other program and can't apply for a passport from your country of citizenship for some reason, then you can apply for this thing called a "Certificate of Identity" but you need to bee a PR to get this document. This is what I know, if someone knows more or thinks I am incorrect, then please correct me. Good luck!

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
thank you
Unfortunately, the answer is NO.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
It depends on your status in Canada. If you have not been accepted as a "Convention Refugee" or as a "person in need of protection" then there is no way you can get a refugee travel document. But, if you somehow managed to get a PR through some other program and can't apply for a passport from your country of citizenship for some reason, then you can apply for this thing called a "Certificate of Identity" but you need to bee a PR to get this document. This is what I know, if someone knows more or thinks I am incorrect, then please correct me. Good luck!
Sorry to interfere, I was granted PR through Spousal Sponsorship, but when I applied for a travel document, IRCC still issued me a Refugee Travel Document because I applied for refugee protection before getting married. The RTD still states that I can’t go back to my home country.

So no matter how you got your PR, if you applied for refugee protection, you’ll still be issued a RTD, not a Certificate of Identity, thank you :)

Reactions: sss12345

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Sorry to interfere, I was granted PR through Spousal Sponsorship, but when I applied for a travel document, IRCC still issued me a Refugee Travel Document because I applied for refugee protection before getting married. The RTD still states that I can’t go back to my home country.

So no matter how you got your PR, if you applied for refugee protection, you’ll still be issued a RTD, not a Certificate of Identity, thank you :)
You don't need to apologize for that, thank you for your intervention! You're totally right. It's also because you're still a protected person in Canada, even though you got your PR through another program you're still entitled for a travel document as a protected person. For the sake of making this argument, you don't even need to apply for permanent residence if you're a protected person. You can live the rest of your life in Canada only on protected person status. But of course it's better to apply, since you'll be able to work and study without a permission (permits) and then after a few years you get to apply for citizenship.

Reactions: live&love