+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for university while waiting for PR - what status do we put?

Fizzybe

Star Member
Feb 23, 2019
Toronto, ON
Hello all,

I am currently sponsoring my husband's PR. He is on an open work permit right now. We anticipate that he will get his PR latest by August, but of course we can never be sure.

He wants to start school starting next fall, and the deadline to the program he is interested in is June 1st.

In his application, he has to indicate his status in Canada. We are most definitely not interested in him starting if he doesn't get his PR (no financial means for that). So at the time of registration he will be a PR, whether he is able to start in September, or he has to delay it to another time. Right now his status is work permit. What do you think we should put for the status? We were very confused by that. Does anyone have any experience regarding this?

Thanks for your input.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
He has to reflect his status at time of application. He can revise it to PR once he's got his PR, but you cannot apply as a PR until you actually have the PR.

So for now - his status in Canada is as worker, and not PR.

Admissions requirements from universities are different based on status in Canada. Because international students are charged a lot more, they have lower requirements. I know that may look like it should mitigate towards applying as a PR - but what if he doesn't get his PR? Then the university will want to charge him international student tuition.

If it's imperative he start school this fall (as in 4 months from now) his current status is not PR.