+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for TRV soon. Chances of refusal?

Krissh2179

Nov 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019
Hi. I am planning to visit my girlfriend in Canada soon who is a Canadian citizen. I have been in a long distance relationship for the past 10 months with her and want to meet her soon. Now I have a few queries I would like to clear out before applying. Firstly, I can obtain a letter of invite from my girlfriend specifying my stay of one month with her where she will take care of my living etc. Now I have read across this forum about unemployment and visa refusals but my case is a little different. I currently work with my Dad in his own business (HR) but have no official fixed salary. Thus I cant claim to be officially employed either. My Dad just transfers money into my account and the amount is fluctuating, kind of like adult pocket money haha. I live with my parents and am their only child. I have studied in New Zealand and have travelled out of the country on visas a lot too. I dont own any property in my name and have never been rejected a visa from anywhere. I am 24 years old and although I can provide my bank statement for the last 6 months, it only covers the generic expenses that I use my card for, no monthly salary transfers salary slips. For this trip, My dad will be paying for my flight tickets and daily expenses in Canada for duration of my stay as I said I cant provide salary slips. My living will be handled by my girlfriend. I fully intend to come back to my family because I do have to keep working and assisting in my dad’s business. Keeping all these circumstances in mind, can I get a trv?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
You do have an unusual case. I would suggest declaring a stay of no more than 2-3 weeks, and presenting this as a family business...so if your dad can help you out with business documents (specially since you say he will also pay for a portion of your trip), as well as presenting your bank statements where you also say you receive amounts from your dad for your work.

If your travels included the US, UK, Europe, then your chances will be a bit better.

Krissh2179

Nov 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019
You do have an unusual case. I would suggest declaring a stay of no more than 2-3 weeks, and presenting this as a family business...so if your dad can help you out with business documents (specially since you say he will also pay for a portion of your trip), as well as presenting your bank statements where you also say you receive amounts from your dad for your work.

If your travels included the US, UK, Europe, then your chances will be a bit better.
Hi. Thank you so much for your reply. What kind of business documents are you suggesting. And well it doesnt specify in the statement that the amount is for my work, since you see its my dad’s own business and I live with him so I dont really have living expenses like rent or electricity other than food and generic ones. I have travelled to the US once but that was back in 2011 on an international trip organised by my school. I can chalk my stay down to 3 weeks no problem. So if Declare as a family business, wouldnt I have to have to show a legal document with my name on it as well. The company is under my dad’s name. So super confused.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi. Thank you so much for your reply. What kind of business documents are you suggesting. And well it doesnt specify in the statement that the amount is for my work, since you see its my dad’s own business and I live with him so I dont really have living expenses like rent or electricity other than food and generic ones. I have travelled to the US once but that was back in 2011 on an international trip organised by my school. I can chalk my stay down to 3 weeks no problem. So if Declare as a family business, wouldnt I have to have to show a legal document with my name on it as well. The company is under my dad’s name. So super confused.
Yeah go ahead with business permits, etc. in your dad’s name. Depending on how you answer the questionnaire you can upload proof of funds by the financial supporter. If not, just present a short cover letter that you are working for your dad’s business as blah blah blah, and that attached are the businesses’ permits, letters of incorporation or the like, tax returns, bank statements, etc.
Don’t your bank statements identify the sender if it’s a direct deposit? If it’s a partial account number it would be great if you can also show that business account’s statements.

Krissh2179

Nov 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019
Yeah go ahead with business permits, etc. in your dad’s name. Depending on how you answer the questionnaire you can upload proof of funds by the financial supporter. If not, just present a short cover letter that you are working for your dad’s business as blah blah blah, and that attached are the businesses’ permits, documents, tax returns, etc.
Don’t your bank statements identify the sender if it’s a direct deposit? If it’s a partial account number it would be great if you can also show that business account’s statements.
Yes the bank statements do specify the money transfer is done through a partial account number which is the business’s but the purpose for transfer is not specified. My dad can provide all details as proof of financially supporting me, so for the ‘are you employed question and do you own a busines’ question, I should answer ‘NO’ right?

This is completely irrelevant to my above situation but just want to look at other options
If not my dad can a friend of his be my financial supporter where I show his statements and funds that he will will be providing me.

Finally for the question that says proof of relationship,

Is it for the relationship between me and the person sending me the invite from canada or for the person that would be financially supporting me while I stay in Canada?

Thank you for you prompt replies. Much appreciated.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
That’s right—answer no. But you can still offer your dad’s docs as proof.

Proof of relationship is usually by the inviter in Canada. Try to change your answer in the questionnare (yes you can go back and edit) about being invited by someone in Canada. You can include your GF’s letter in the purpose of travel instead.

It doesn’t matter which part you upload your docs; it matters what you submit.

Krissh2179

Nov 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019

Proof of relationship is usually by the inviter in Canada. Try to change your answer in the questionnare (yes you can go back and edit) about being invited by someone in Canada. You can include your GF’s letter in the purpose of travel instead.

I g

I get it now. Thank you so much for you replies. One question you probably missed in my previous post,

Can a non blood related person like a family friend be my financial provider for my trip? And are the chances of visa refusal higher in such a case if yes?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I g

I get it now. Thank you so much for you replies. One question you probably missed in my previous post,

Can a non blood related person like a family friend be my financial provider for my trip? And are the chances of visa refusal higher in such a case if yes?
In general, it’s the applicant who has to show he/she can afford the trip entirely on his/her own. Yes, chances of refusal are higher if the applicant needs anyone else, related or not, to fund the trip.

sventhedog

Star Member
Oct 23, 2018
Hi. I had the exact situation but i applied along with my parents and had a US visa, some travel history and clean record. I just indicated there about my situation and tried to be honest in explaining why I don't have a formal income tax, properties, accounts, etc. Maybe applying with your parents would help? I'm no expert but it worked for me twice already.

Krissh2179

Nov 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019
Hi. I had the exact situation but i applied along with my parents and had a US visa, some travel history and clean record. I just indicated there about my situation and tried to be honest in explaining why I don't have a formal income tax, properties, accounts, etc. Maybe applying with your parents would help? I'm no expert but it worked for me twice already.
Hi. Thanks for the reply. So did you submit a cover letter in the optional section stating your reasons? And dont mean to be intrusive but did u select the option of you being financially dependent on someone?’ For the visa for eg your dad.

sventhedog

Star Member
Oct 23, 2018
Hi. Thanks for the reply. So did you submit a cover letter in the optional section stating your reasons? And dont mean to be intrusive but did u select the option of you being financially dependent on someone?’ For the visa for eg your dad.
No problem. I stated that i'm not financially dependent in the form. Then I did submit a letter in the optional section explaining my reasons. I clearly mentioned in the letter that "i chose that answer in the form because of..."

I'm glad to help. Feel free to ask me if you have anymore questions.

Krissh2179

Nov 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019
No problem. I stated that i'm not financially dependent in the form. Then I did submit a letter in the optional section explaining my reasons. I clearly mentioned in the letter that "i chose that answer in the form because of..."

I'm glad to help. Feel free to ask me if you have anymore questions.
Oh okay and for banks statements and other bank documents and IT returns that u too dont file because of similar scenario, did U submit your own docs mentioning lack of salary etc in your cover letter or did u send someone else’s financially dependent docs. My case I cant apply with my dad because he has no intentions of flying to canada at the moment but has agreed to financially support me for the trip.