+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Travel Document after first Travel Document Expired

M.R.S

Star Member
Aug 27, 2009
Hi,

If a Canadian Resident with expired PR Card applies for Travel Document and get one but is unable to land in Canada before expiry of Travel Document can he apply for another Travel Document ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
M.R.S said:
Hi,

If a Canadian Resident with expired PR Card applies for Travel Document and get one but is unable to land in Canada before expiry of Travel Document can he apply for another Travel Document ?
Sure - however there's an excellent change the second TD will be refused. CIC will most likely take this as a sign of your lack of commitment to Canada.

M.R.S

Star Member
Aug 27, 2009
scylla said:
Sure - however there's an excellent change the second TD will be refused. CIC will most likely take this as a sign of your lack of commitment to Canada.
Yeh i guess you are right . But they can't restrict my movement while my PR Card is under Renewal . I applied for PR Card renewal fm outside Canada they sent me RQ and the whole process took one year now they asked me to apply for PRTD and send them the copy as the local CHC will decide that whether i meet residency obligation, i got PRTD and have sent them the copy but its almost 2 weeks and i have not heard from them, i am not sure how long they will take to issue new PR Card

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
M.R.S said:
Hi,

You can apply for as many PRTDs as you wish subject to meeting the RO. Just because the first one was successful doesn't mean subsequent ones will be since the 5 year window has rolled forward by the time you apply a second, third etc time. You may also find the visa post issuing shorter validity PRTDs each time you apply for one. I recall seeing seen in the forum a PRTD valid for 14 days!

M.R.S said:
Yeh i guess you are right . But they can't restrict my movement while my PR Card is under Renewal . I applied for PR Card renewal fm outside Canada they sent me RQ and the whole process took one year now they asked me to apply for PRTD and send them the copy as the local CHC will decide that whether i meet residency obligation, i got PRTD and have sent them the copy but its almost 2 weeks and i have not heard from them, i am not sure how long they will take to issue new PR Card
This really doesn't make sense to me. The Local CIC that has your PR Card renewal under secondary review should make its own decision based on the 5 year window that was reviewed in the PR Card renewal application form. Why they need an input from the visa post's PRTD is odd unless they want to compare your declared 'dates' in the overlapping RO window. You may be best to check your RO situation before you make a decision as to the next step. You may be better off returning to Canada with the currently valid and withdrawing the current PR Card renewal application.

M.R.S

Star Member
Aug 27, 2009
Msafiri said:
This really doesn't make sense to me. The Local CIC that has your PR Card renewal under secondary review should make its own decision based on the 5 year window that was reviewed in the PR Card renewal application form. Why they need an input from the visa post's PRTD is odd unless they want to compare your declared 'dates' in the overlapping RO window. You may be best to check your RO situation before you make a decision as to the next step. You may be better off returning to Canada with the currently valid and withdrawing the current PR Card renewal application.
Yes at first i also thought that it does not make sense but some one on this forum had the same experience and he shared some link of a bulletin where it was clearly written that if a PR is outside Canada and he has applied for PR Renewal then the standard procedure is to ask the PR to apply for PRTD from abroad and if he gets PRTD then his PR Card Renewal is approved otherwise rejected.

In my case i have lived in Canada for more than 900 days but left Canada as i didn't had any job and out of frustration, after expiry of my PR Card i applied for renewal and they issued me RQ later they asked me to apply for PRTD at CHC and send them the copy of PRTD but the problem is that it has been 2 weeks and i have sent them the PRTD copy but i have no idea whats going on . The nature of my work is like i have to travel a lot and i dont want to be stuck in Canada for long. Is there any way i can ask the CHC to issue me a multi visit PRTD ?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
M.R.S said:
Yes at first i also thought that it does not make sense but some one on this forum had the same experience and he shared some link of a bulletin where it was clearly written that if a PR is outside Canada and he has applied for PR Renewal then the standard procedure is to ask the PR to apply for PRTD from abroad and if he gets PRTD then his PR Card Renewal is approved otherwise rejected.

In my case i have lived in Canada for more than 900 days but left Canada as i didn't had any job and out of frustration, after expiry of my PR Card i applied for renewal and they issued me RQ later they asked me to apply for PRTD at CHC and send them the copy of PRTD but the problem is that it has been 2 weeks and i have sent them the PRTD copy but i have no idea whats going on . The nature of my work is like i have to travel a lot and i dont want to be stuck in Canada for long. Is there any way i can ask the CHC to issue me a multi visit PRTD ?
As I stated and this being only my opinion the only rationale for comparing PR Card renewal and PRTD applications is to match up declared days be they of absence or presence covering the same time period in the RO window being reviewed. My understanding is that visa posts don't issue multiple entry PRTDs since (i) they are not a status document for travel under the IRPA and (ii) they could enable the PR to breach the RO without penalty though Secondary Inspection should catch this out. You can always ask for one. Be careful as your 900 days are falling off due to an ever changing 5 year RO window...seems CIC has you flagged and even if you get the PR Card maybe on their radar.

M.R.S

Star Member
Aug 27, 2009
Msafiri said:
As I stated and this being only my opinion the only rationale for comparing PR Card renewal and PRTD applications is to match up declared days be they of absence or presence covering the same time period in the RO window being reviewed. My understanding is that visa posts don't issue multiple entry PRTDs since (i) they are not a status document for travel under the IRPA and (ii) they could enable the PR to breach the RO without penalty though Secondary Inspection should catch this out. You can always ask for one. Be careful as your 900 days are falling off due to an ever changing 5 year RO window...seems CIC has you flagged and even if you get the PR Card maybe on their radar.
Thanks for your advice.
I will enter Canada before expry of PRTD