+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for transit visa to enter Toronto from the US

MarlenTleu88

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
Hello All,
I am travelling to Toronto soon to activate my PR card, however, I currently work and reside not in my country of citizenship but in Middle East. So, I just want to activate my card and to return back to Canada for permanent living next year. The plan is to take a vacation (2 weeks) to travel to Canada, activate the card and go back to Middle East until I decide to move to Canada permanently. So, since it will take much time to receive PR cards, I was thinking to apply for a transit visa because I would also like to visit the NYC with my wife (its very close to Toronto). We already have COPR on our hands and PR visas in passports to enter Canada, however, I was wondering if it's okay to apply for transit visa while you are one month away from becoming a permanent resident of Canada. I know that there is a way to return back using private transportation but...did anyone try it before?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Hello All,
I am travelling to Toronto soon to activate my PR card, however, I currently work and reside not in my country of citizenship but in Middle East. So, I just want to activate my card and to return back to Canada for permanent living next year. The plan is to take a vacation (2 weeks) to travel to Canada, activate the card and go back to Middle East until I decide to move to Canada permanently. So, since it will take much time to receive PR cards, I was thinking to apply for a transit visa because I would also like to visit the NYC with my wife (its very close to Toronto). We already have COPR on our hands and PR visas in passports to enter Canada, however, I was wondering if it's okay to apply for transit visa while you are one month away from becoming a permanent resident of Canada. I know that there is a way to return back using private transportation but...did anyone try it before?
This doesn't make sense. Once you become a PR you are ineligible for any Visas. So if you want to travel to the USA, I would recommend you do it BEFORE landing, not after.

Reactions: bellaluna