+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Study Permit

Abe98Kay

Sep 20, 2019
Hello Everyone,
I will be applying for my study permit soon and I just had a few things that I wanted advice on. I already have received my Letter of Acceptance and fee structure. Now this is what I am going to do; My 1st year fees and living expenses total 28000 cad, I will show about 30000-32000 cad in my bank account as financial proof. My father is my sponsor so I will be showing his past salary statements and savings as source of funds. I already have other documents like police certificate etc ready. I got my ielts requirement waived off from the college so I will use that for the language requirement. Now am I doing everything correctly? Is there anything wrong with my plan? Any advice would be very appreciated. Another thing about the bank account for the financial statement, do I need to use my father's account or can I use anyone else's, like my mom's?. And on the chance that I get rejected, will that negatively affect me, can I apply again after fixing any problems in my application? All the consultants I went to seemed like ripoffs or charged too much. Thanks in advance for any help.

Reactions: Dupinder253

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with your plan. Either parent can sponsor your studies, as long as they have the income stream / savings to support your education. By any chance, if your Study Permit is denied, make sure to get your GCMS notes and then address the concerns of the Visa Officer. This will lower the chances of a repeat denial. Consultants are a waste of money for anyone who is smart enough to submit an application online, let alone be admitted to a foreign institution. So, don't bother throwing away your good money.

Be aware of the most common reasons that IRCC denies Study Permits, and as long as you address them conclusively - you'll most likely sail through.
Such reasons are:
1. Purpose of visit: Make sure that the Course you are enrolled in is a logical continuation of your educational background/ work history. For ex. Its harder to convince a Visa officer if you were a Mechanical engineer, working in your home country for 5 years, and then decided to course in Cinematography. So make sure this is addressed in your Letter of Explanation.
2. Ties to home country: Why would you return to your home country after your course? Do you own property, investments, have family and kids etc...? Its critical to highlight any and every reason that will compel you to return.
3. Travel History: If you have travelled (or hold valid visas) to countries under the EU, Australia, New Zealand or the US and then returned to your home country, it goes long way in proving that you are not a potential illegal migrant.
4. Employment prospects in your home country: If the course you take is in big demand back home, then it reinforces the fact you are likely to find better employment once you return.
5. Proof of funds: In your case, make sure that the total income of your parents is adequate to first support their lifestyles and liabilities back home, AND enough to support your annual expenses as an international student. If this is not the case, then show a higher amount of savings that pretty much covers the cost of your studies.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dupinder253

highphy

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with your plan. Either parent can sponsor your studies, as long as they have the income stream / savings to support your education. By any chance, if your Study Permit is denied, make sure to get your GCMS notes and then address the concerns of the Visa Officer. This will lower the chances of a repeat denial. Consultants are a waste of money for anyone who is smart enough to submit an application online, let alone be admitted to a foreign institution. So, don't bother throwing away your good money.

Be aware of the most common reasons that IRCC denies Study Permits, and as long as you address them conclusively - you'll most likely sail through.
Such reasons are:
1. Purpose of visit: Make sure that the Course you are enrolled in is a logical continuation of your educational background/ work history. For ex. Its harder to convince a Visa officer if you were a Mechanical engineer, working in your home country for 5 years, and then decided to course in Cinematography. So make sure this is addressed in your Letter of Explanation.
2. Ties to home country: Why would you return to your home country after your course? Do you own property, investments, have family and kids etc...? Its critical to highlight any and every reason that will compel you to return.
3. Travel History: If you have travelled (or hold valid visas) to countries under the EU, Australia, New Zealand or the US and then returned to your home country, it goes long way in proving that you are not a potential illegal migrant.
4. Employment prospects in your home country: If the course you take is in big demand back home, then it reinforces the fact you are likely to find better employment once you return.
5. Proof of funds: In your case, make sure that the total income of your parents is adequate to first support their lifestyles and liabilities back home, AND enough to support your annual expenses as an international student. If this is not the case, then show a higher amount of savings that pretty much covers the cost of your studies.

Good luck!
i really like your full explanation of those things to be put into consideration...
i have a simple question... i will like if you can kindly help me out
i had a degree in English Education, 9years study gap right now but i have been working since then... 32 years of age... married with 1 kid and they are back home as am working in abroad and always go home every year.
right now am working in a 5star Hotel since 5years... is it ideal for me if i go for PGd in Hotel Management considering the work experience??

jaz112233

Star Member
Feb 27, 2020
i really like your full explanation of those things to be put into consideration...
i have a simple question... i will like if you can kindly help me out
i had a degree in English Education, 9years study gap right now but i have been working since then... 32 years of age... married with 1 kid and they are back home as am working in abroad and always go home every year.
right now am working in a 5star Hotel since 5years... is it ideal for me if i go for PGd in Hotel Management considering the work experience??
sure thing, youll have to explain how it will benefit your career and also ull have to show strong ties with home country. If you get a job offer post degree that will help your case

highphy

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
sure thing, youll have to explain how it will benefit your career and also ull have to show strong ties with home country. If you get a job offer post degree that will help your case
Means am gonna need to generate a strong SOP where I will explain every thing...
Regarding home ties... like I have said, I am married with a kid, got landed properties and also planning on opening and register a company though it’s gonna start small but will be registered on my name... families also there as well in my home country... I hope that’s gonna help me justifies the home ties a bit right??
Thanks for your help

Reactions: skape7

jaz112233

Star Member
Feb 27, 2020
Means am gonna need to generate a strong SOP where I will explain every thing...
Regarding home ties... like I have said, I am married with a kid, got landed properties and also planning on opening and register a company though it’s gonna start small but will be registered on my name... families also there as well in my home country... I hope that’s gonna help me justifies the home ties a bit right??
Thanks for your help
yep. IMO home ties should be really strong and then youll have a good chance

Abe98Kay

Sep 20, 2019
@skape7 Hello again, I just wanted advice on one more thing. I did research and pulled out a list of documents I need to apply, as I will be applying soon. I will be applying from Pakistan btw. The list is:
Passport
Letter of Acceptance
Language proficiency documents
Digital photos
Application of Study Permit from Outside Canada (IMM1294)
Family Information (IMM5707E)
Letter of Explanation or Study Plan
Bank Statement (Atleast past 4 months)
Sponsor's Salary Slips
Sponsor's Taxation documents
Letter of Undertaking (by Sponsor)
Medical exam
Document checklist
Fee payment proof (application processing) if needed.
Are these the right documents? Am I missing anything or have listed anything wrong? Just according to your knowledge if you can advice me. If anyone else would like to comment then they are welcome as well. Thanks in advance.

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
At first glance, the list seems fine. You will have the official checklist when you start preparing your application online so I wouldn't be as worried about the forms (everyone fills them up right!). The thing that you should make an effort to communicate is your unique, personal circumstances - and they should tilt the balance in your favour.

I can't stress this enough - do not make the mistake of thinking of your Study Permit application just as a checklist with items to ticked off. The Visa Officer will have seen a million applications already, and they are trained to sniff out BS....so be honest, succinct and only provide information that is relevant to your case. Think of it as proving a complete picture of your case! Whoever goes through your application should think of you as a potentially sincere student who genuinely wishes to progress in his career. Do not use the Letter of Explanation (LoE) to write about the story of your life; use it only an opportunity to clarify any ambiguities about your application. The text should ideally not exceed two pages (otherwise no one will bother reading it) and should be segregated by topic, adressing any concerns regarding your application.

If I was an Assessing your application, some of the questions I would have are:

Why do you want to pursue an educational course now - at this specific point in your career? Are you giving up current employment? Why would you do that? What value does this credential add to your career? If this is your first post-secondary credential, then why Canada? Why this particular educational institution and course, when you could take a similar course anywhere else in the world (even in your home country!)
Why would you return to your home country? Do you have family there (not just wife and children - since they could move to Canada right after you get a Study Permit)? Do you have any fixed assets such as property, investments on your name? What will your job prospects be in your home country after you get this credential? If you are employed, will your current Company hire you back? If you own a business, how will the business function in your absence? So make sure to address any major concerns in your LoE.

You specifically mentioned Proof of funds (PoF), so we'll discuss that section here:

Include a summary page for the documents you include under PoF with a statement that your parents (either father and/or mother) will support the cost of your education. Then add sections for:
a. Summary table of cost (in CAD & PKR) of your tuition, ancillary expenses and lifestyle costs (year-wise)
b. Summary table for your parent's finances (in CAD & PKR) showing amounts in savings, annual income, liquid investments etc...

This summary should be enough for the Visa officer to know whether the sponsorship is feasible in the big picture.
Now, to prove the validity of the above figures include support documents such as Employment letters (to show that their employment prospects in their current organization are and shall remain good in the near future), salary slips, tax returns and bank statements.

This should show that the income streams are regular (by payslips) and stable (job stability and hence income stability) for the duration of your studies.
Remember, if your parent's have to send you an amount annually - which requires them to divert more than 40-50% of their monthly salary - then it will not appear feasible to the Visa Officer. This is because they will have their own lifestyle costs and liabilities back home. So be careful when you put these figures up.

This should give you an idea of how to tackle the rest of your application. Good luck!