+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Study Permit while PR application is open

apsarkar

Star Member
Mar 21, 2017
Hi,

I am outside Canada, have received an ITA recently and am submitting documents for PR. I also have an admission from a Canadian University. I need to apply for a study permit to enter Canada legally to study, because by the time I might receive my PR, my classes would have already started.

The study permit application requires us to state our intent to return upon completion of our studies, but in my case by the time I graduate, I might have a PR. I am unsure how to proceed with this requirement. What should I right in my SOP? Will my study permit be rejected?

Also, I am getting my medicals done for the immigration application. Can I upload the same medical confirmation form in my application for the study permit or will I need a separate medical test for that, because the medical tests are the same, so I dont see a point in getting the same test done twice.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Aparna

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
If you apply for study permit, your PR will be rejected and if you apply for PR, your study permit will be rejected. For PR, it is an economic class visa which means you will go to Canada and work there. For a study permit, it means you will study in Canada and return to your country. Dual intent doesnt apply here. You have to choose one.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
xpressentry said:
If you apply for study permit, your PR will be rejected
Study visas and PR apps are 2 completely different things. There is nothing wrong with applying for a study visa while a PR app is also in progress.

Will of course need to pay international student fees until PR is approved.

apsarkar

Star Member
Mar 21, 2017
Rob_TO said:
Study visas and PR apps are 2 completely different things. There is nothing wrong with applying for a study visa while a PR app is also in progress.

Thanks. Do you have any idea what i could write in my SOP ? Also, will i need two medical tests since i am applying at the same time for both PR and study permit.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
apsarkar said:
Thanks. Do you have any idea what i could write in my SOP ?
I'm not sure. What was mentioned above is correct, in that a study permit is supposed to be for a temporary purpose. A PR app shows you want to remain in Canada forever so the study permit may be denied due to this. Really it's at the discretion of the visa officer processing your study permit request.

Also, will i need two medical tests since i am applying at the same time for both PR and study permit.
I believe all immigration medical exams are the same. So if you do one, you should be able to use the receipt number for both applications as long as medical remains within 1-year validity. Not 100% sure on this though.

Reactions: jackan

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Rob_TO said:

Wrong. You cant have a temp application and a perm application running at the same time. You have to apply for all entry permits to Canada through mycic website and you have to enter the code you are given after the come to canada tool. The tool wont allow you to proceed if you mention you want to go to Canada to study and live in Canada permanently. You have to choose one option.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
xpressentry said:
Wrong. You cant have a temp application and a perm application running at the same time. You have to apply for all entry permits to Canada through mycic website and you have to enter the code you are given after the come to canada tool. The tool wont allow you to proceed if you mention you want to go to Canada to study and live in Canada permanently. You have to choose one option.
There have been many other cases where people with PR apps in progress have also successfully obtained visitor, work, or study visas at the same time their PR app was processing. I don't know the details, but it has definitely been done before. Unless there has been some updates to the online process that now prevents it.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
xpressentry said:
CIC allows it, and I actually did that, it's called dual intent:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/dual.asp

The Come to Canada tool is only a wizard for online applications, it's not the actual ministerial instructions.

I for one applied for a TRV while my PR application was in progress. I answered the questionnaire as if I was only applying for a TRV, I even used the same MyCIC account and UCI number as my Express Entry app, and there was no conflict at all: My PR application was approved 2 weeks after my TRV was stamped. I got the GCMS notes for both applications, and CIC was perfectly aware of my parallel applications.

apsarkar said:
Thanks. Do you have any idea what i could write in my SOP ? Also, will i need two medical tests since i am applying at the same time for both PR and study permit.
I reused my PR medical for my TRV medical (although not required). So if you do upfront medicals for Express Entry, you can submit the same one for your study permit.

apsarkar

Star Member
Mar 21, 2017
bellaluna said:
CIC allows it, and I actually did that, it's called dual intent:
Thanks so much for the info. It has addressed my worries about the legality of having a dual intent. I will apply for my study permit like I would normally do.

I want to know if in my SOP for the study permit should I mention my dual intent?

What is the best way to convince the officer that I respect the Candian Immigration policies and will leave after my temporary stay, if I am not a Permanent Resident by then.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
apsarkar said:
Thanks so much for the info. It has addressed my worries about the legality of having a dual intent. I will apply for my study permit like I would normally do.

I want to know if in my SOP for the study permit should I mention my dual intent?
You don't really have to, it's up to CIC to decide. (I did not mention it in my SOP, but I openly declared my ongoing PR application in my TRV application form in the question if I applied to CIC before.)

What is the best way to convince the officer that I respect the Candian Immigration policies and will leave after my temporary stay, if I am not a Permanent Resident by then.
Finances and assets in home country, family ties, travel history: browse through the Visitors section of this forum.

akhiniki

Mar 23, 2017
Hi Aparna

My name is Akhila. I am also facing the similar situation. I have already submitted my PR application one month ago and having a University offer in Alberta for the Fall 2017 batch. I am also afraid that by the time I might receive my PR, my classes would have already started.

Did you try applying for Study permit along with the PR application?

Please guide me in this regard.

Any valuable advice is highly appreciated

Thanks
Akhila

Hi,

I am outside Canada, have received an ITA recently and am submitting documents for PR. I also have an admission from a Canadian University. I need to apply for a study permit to enter Canada legally to study, because by the time I might receive my PR, my classes would have already started.

The study permit application requires us to state our intent to return upon completion of our studies, but in my case by the time I graduate, I might have a PR. I am unsure how to proceed with this requirement. What should I right in my SOP? Will my study permit be rejected?

Also, I am getting my medicals done for the immigration application. Can I upload the same medical confirmation form in my application for the study permit or will I need a separate medical test for that, because the medical tests are the same, so I dont see a point in getting the same test done twice.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Aparna

jatinmadan

Sep 15, 2015
Hi,
My family received the ITA (Invitation To Apply) under express entry program in April and the family (including me) got our upfront medicals (with Upfront medical Type as "Worker") done within April itself. Now, I have received admission for a very good undergrad program in Toronto.
Since, we may not receive PR by the time my program starts in September'17, I will have to apply for my Study Permit too. Can you please advise;
1. If I should apply for my Study Permit before my family submits application for PR?
2. When I apply for my Study Permit, do I need to mention about ITA and/or express entry profile, even though technically, I have not applied for PR?
3. Will it be wrong on my part to keep quiet about my ITA/Express entry?
4. Is my upfront medical type: Worker, linked to my Express Entry application (Starting with"E")?

Would be thankful for an early advice.
Regards

Ananth1224

Jun 2, 2017
If I should apply for my Study Permit before my family submits application for PR? -
YES you can ( My friend has done the same thing) Now we are doing the same thing for Fall Intake..(Got ITA too) File PR app after study permit application
2. When I apply for my Study Permit, do I need to mention about ITA and/or express entry profile, even though technically, I have not applied for PR?
Yes you can attach the copy of ITA and mention about the dual intentions

3. Will it be wrong on my part to keep quiet about my ITA/Express entry?
Yes it is wrong, they can actually find out from CIC

4. Is my upfront medical type: Worker, linked to my Express Entry application (Starting with"E")?
You can use the same medicals though remarks may be different.
Tests are same for both worker, dependent and Exp Entry.
The test date should be within 6 months on the date of application. (Thats it)

dolfin

Star Member
Feb 23, 2017
Hey any update from your side?
I am in the same boat, have applied for SP on June 15 while I do have a PR application in process.
I uploaded the medical exam used for PR in my SP application, but received a message asking for a medical exam. Don't know what's wrong!

Arsenek

May 3, 2017
If you apply for study permit, your PR will be rejected and if you apply for PR, your study permit will be rejected. For PR, it is an economic class visa which means you will go to Canada and work there. For a study permit, it means you will study in Canada and return to your country. Dual intent doesnt apply here. You have to choose one.
WHAT ABOUT A VISITOR VISA WHIL WAITING FOR A WORK PERMIT ?