+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Study Permit for High school student

j87

Star Member
Feb 21, 2016
Hello,
I would like to get some help on applying for study permit for a high school student
As we would like to apply for it without the agent

1. How long does it usually take for the whole process?

2. If he is going to stay here in Canada with his family instead of the parents, does the family in the Canada need to apply for the custodian? Would anyone has more details of it please?

3. How much money does the parents need to have, to prove the financial support?
does it need to be transfer to any of the Canadian banks before applying?

4. How can I read the forms of Ircc? I have been downloaded the newest version of adobe reader, still cant open the file on the computer

thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
I would like to get some help on applying for study permit for a high school student

2. If he is going to stay here in Canada with his family instead of the parents, does the family in the Canada need to apply for the custodian? Would anyone has more details of it please?

3. How can I read the forms of Ircc? I have been downloaded the newest version of adobe reader, still cant open the file on the computer

thank you!
1. Depends on the country. Plan on a few months at least.
2. Yes, they need to apply as the custodian. Follow the instructions on the IRCC website. Note that $10,000 in living expenses (in addition to tuition) will still need to be shown even if living with family in Canada.
3. Try a different computer or browser. The issue is something on your end.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

3. How much money does the parents need to have, to prove the financial support?
does it need to be transfer to any of the Canadian banks before applying?

4. How can I read the forms of Ircc? I have been downloaded the newest version of adobe reader, still cant open the file on the computer

thank you!
1. Do you have admission to the school and have paid fees? If yes, expect around 13 weeks.
2. Yes, if under 18 needs a custodian. Details for forms on IRCC site for study permit for minors.
3. Want to show that they can afford tuition plus living expenses. So 10k for living expeneses and $10-15k for tuition depending on where going to school. So parents want to show minimum of $25k and then show can afford years to follow.
4. Change your browser.

A high school student cannot work at all so parents need to show considerable amount of funds.

j87

Star Member
Feb 21, 2016
1. Depends on the country. Plan on a few months at least.
2. Yes, they need to apply as the custodian. Follow the instructions on the IRCC website. Note that $10,000 in living expenses (in addition to tuition) will still need to be shown even if living with family in Canada.
3. Try a different computer or browser. The issue is something on your end.
thanks Scylla!

But I am not sure how complex it would be to be a custodian, would they need to come over and check my house? Something like that?

j87

Star Member
Feb 21, 2016
1. Do you have admission to the school and have paid fees? If yes, expect around 13 weeks.
2. Yes, if under 18 needs a custodian. Details for forms on IRCC site for study permit for minors.
3. Want to show that they can afford tuition plus living expenses. So 10k for living expeneses and $10-15k for tuition depending on where going to school. So parents want to show minimum of $25k and then show can afford years to follow.
4. Change your browser.

A high school student cannot work at all so parents need to show considerable amount of funds.
2. Would it be complex/ hard to be approved as a custodian? Is there any chances that you would like the flow of it please?

3. Even after paying tution upfront, do I still need to show them that $25K in the bank account?

can it be in the overseas bank account, or must be transferred to here in Canada?

*can’t the high school students do some part time job with the study permit?

anyway, thank you so much Naturgrl :)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
2. Would it be complex/ hard to be approved as a custodian? Is there any chances that you would like the flow of it please?

3. Even after paying tution upfront, do I still need to show them that $25K in the bank account?

can it be in the overseas bank account, or must be transferred to here in Canada?

No work allowed, even part-time, as a high school student on a permit. That is why it is important for parents to show the funds. Don’t know the grade but if in Grade 9 that is 4 years of tuition. They need to pay the tuition and want to show at least $10-20k at a minium and show even more to prove that tuition can be paid each year. Future income doesn’t prove that tuition will be paid. It can be an overseas account. Custodian form is simple as parents have to sign.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

2. It shouldn't be hard. I don't understand the second part of your question.
3. If you pay the $15,000 tuition up front, you need to show a bank balance of $10,000 to cover living expenses. It can be an overseas bank account.

International students studying at the high school level are not allowed to work.

Reactions: Naturgrl

j87

Star Member
Feb 21, 2016
No work allowed, even part-time, as a high school student on a permit. That is why it is important for parents to show the funds. Don’t know the grade but if in Grade 9 that is 4 years of tuition. They need to pay the tuition and want to show at least $10-20k at a minium and show even more to prove that tuition can be paid each year. Future income doesn’t prove that tuition will be paid. It can be an overseas account. Custodian form is simple as parents have to sign.
thanks for all the details. :)

j87

Star Member
Feb 21, 2016
2. It shouldn't be hard. I don't understand the second part of your question.
3. If you pay the $15,000 tuition up front, you need to show a bank balance of $10,000 to cover living expenses. It can be an overseas bank account.

International students studying at the high school level are not allowed to work.
2. Believe that we only need to fill out the form on both side, the student’s parents & custodian, right?
I have a question of the form if you could help me to figure it out:
As he is my brother, we should pick: with the appointed custodian OR with another person (and state our relationship brother and sister)
As I don’t see anywhere which I could put the relationship of us on this form.

3. so, do we need to set up a bank account with the student’s name, or the parents can just set an account with me as the custodian, to manage the money? I am not sure if Ircc would need to see an account of the student like that.

sorry for all the questions that I have, thank you

j87

Star Member
Feb 21, 2016
Sorry, I got some more questions of applying for the permit:

1. In “letter of explanation”, do I need to write something like:
-will be back to my home country after finishing the Secondary school in Canada,
-or would like to stay in Canada for university if it is available?

2. anything else which is important to be included / avoid in the letter?

3. can I apply for the school & the Study Permit at the same time due to the limited timeline (school told me to apply for the permit at the same time)

Again, thank you for your help! :)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Sorry, I got some more questions of applying for the permit:

1. In “letter of explanation”, do I need to write something like:
-will be back to my home country after finishing the Secondary school in Canada,
-or would like to stay in Canada for university if it is available?

2. anything else which is important to be included / avoid in the letter?

3. can I apply for the school & the Study Permit at the same time due to the limited timeline (school told me to apply for the permit at the same time)

Again, thank you for your help! :)
1. The student's decision.
2. Didn't know a SOP was required for a minor.
3. No. You need a letter of acceptance to apply for a study permit (in the link). The whole point of applying for a study permit is that you have admission to the school. Why can't the school give you an admission letter? Processing is going to be around 12-14 week so not sure if you are applyin for this year. Usually new semester starts beginning of February.

Studying in Canada as a minor - Canada.ca

j87

Star Member
Feb 21, 2016
1. The student's decision.
2. Didn't know a SOP was required for a minor.
3. No. You need a letter of acceptance to apply for a study permit (in the link). The whole point of applying for a study permit is that you have admission to the school. Why can't the school give you an admission letter? Processing is going to be around 12-14 week so not sure if you are applyin for this year. Usually new semester starts beginning of February.

Studying in Canada as a minor - Canada.ca
1. just worried if cic thinks the student would like to be immigrated/ not going to back to the hometown

2. Ok I am going to have a check, thanks!

3. Would like to start in Feb 2023, but it seems very rushed in time. That was why the school asked to apply for the permit first. Even on the school website, said applied before dec 1st, can be enrolled in feb 1 2023:confused:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
1. just worried if cic thinks the student would like to be immigrated/ not going to back to the hometown

2. Ok I am going to have a check, thanks!

3. Would like to start in Feb 2023, but it seems very rushed in time. That was why the school asked to apply for the permit first. Even on the school website, said applied before dec 1st, can be enrolled in feb 1 2023:confused:
You can’t apply for a study permit until you have admissions/enrolment letter and paid tuition. Consider starting next September.