+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for residency on a tourist visa

Kovacs

Jul 28, 2014
Hello Canadians and would-be Canadians.

I am a 20 year old guy who has been working since last September on an open work permit (International Experience Canada program)
In these almost 12 months, I have been working in the roofing trade (No prior experience before coming to Canada).
So I figured that I should be eligible to apply for CEC-residency by this coming September.
The immigration consultants I have spoken with seem to agree on this matter.

Now here is my question: given that my work permit runs out by September first, and I have no LMO available, is it possible for me to apply for residency while simply being on a tourist visa? I am currently applying for one, but a consultant I spoke with (albeit uncertified) told me that it is not possible to apply for CEC when you have status as a visitor to Canada! And that you must have status as a TFW.

Has anyone tried applying on a tourist visa, or know anyone who has, and who can simply tell me if it is possible to do or not?
All this is frankly causing me a lot of stress, and I haven't even started my application yet :D

Hope to hear from you!
kind regards,
Thomas

lucky_CA

Star Member
Jan 13, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2013
Doc's Request.
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
IELTS Request
Send with application
File Transfer...
09-07-2013
Med's Request
29-01-2014
Med's Done....
12-2-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19-02-2014 (Ottawa) , 07-03-2014 (local visa office)
VISA ISSUED...
25-03-2014
As long as you are legally staying in Canada you are fine to apply for CEC if you have the qualifying experience. It really Doesn't matter if you are tourist or worker. You can even apply from your home country when you go back.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Kovacs said:
Hello Canadians and would-be Canadians.

I am a 20 year old guy who has been working since last September on an open work permit (International Experience Canada program)
In these almost 12 months, I have been working in the roofing trade (No prior experience before coming to Canada).
So I figured that I should be eligible to apply for CEC-residency by this coming September.
The immigration consultants I have spoken with seem to agree on this matter.

Now here is my question: given that my work permit runs out by September first, and I have no LMO available, is it possible for me to apply for residency while simply being on a tourist visa? I am currently applying for one, but a consultant I spoke with (albeit uncertified) told me that it is not possible to apply for CEC when you have status as a visitor to Canada! And that you must have status as a TFW.

Has anyone tried applying on a tourist visa, or know anyone who has, and who can simply tell me if it is possible to do or not?
All this is frankly causing me a lot of stress, and I haven't even started my application yet :D

Hope to hear from you!
kind regards,
Thomas
1. You may difficulties being accepted as roofer rather than a labourer with no previous experience. See NOC 7291 http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=7&val1=7291&val65=roofer for the requirements.
2. Unless you started on the first day of your 1 year IEC and finish on the last day, you won't have 1 year to qualify for CEC.
3. It is unlikely that you would be able to remain in Canada as visitor for over a year that it takes to process the application if it is accepted.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

1. You may difficulties being accepted as roofer rather than a labourer with no previous experience. See NOC 7291 http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=7&val1=7291&val65=roofer for the requirements.
2. Unless you started on the first day of your 1 year IEC and finish on the last day, you won't have 1 year to qualify for CEC.
3. It is unlikely that you would be able to remain in Canada as visitor for over a year that it takes to process the application if it is accepted.
I agree with PMM on that matter, unless you've started on the first and finish on the last day of your
work permit, you won't be eligible under the CEC. If you're only one day short, you can't apply.

In case you actually gain the full 12 months of required experience, then yes, you can apply while on a visitor
visa, or from outside Canada - but visitor visas are usually issued for up to 6 months ( which is shorter than the
processing time ), so you wouldn't be able to remain in Canada for the processing of your application.

T>