+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for refugee protection from within canada by myself

singhgurkirat

Mar 25, 2018
Hello everyone, so here's my situation-
I wanted to make a claim for refugee protection so I went to a lawyer and gave all my docs and information to him. But I found out later that he was charging three times more than other lawyers so I told him that I dont want to continue with him. I have taken all my documents back from him but he indirectly gave me a warning that he has sent all the forms to the immigration online already and if i try to do it by myself, he will tell them that i am lying which is not true. I have decided to fill all the forms again and take them to the immigration office. He told me that he has seen my documents and he will know if i submit it myself.
My question is: how can he know if I am doing everything from the beggining even he has all information about me?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
What province are you in? You need to report this lawyer to the Law Society of that province immediately. He is breaking professional codes of practice and the law. He can be disbarred for making that threat, and you can have your interests protected.

Reactions: visatest and jddd

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I wanted to make a claim for refugee protection so I went to a lawyer and gave all my docs and information to him. But I found out later that he was charging three times more than other lawyers so I told him that I dont want to continue with him. I have taken all my documents back from him but he indirectly gave me a warning that he has sent all the forms to the immigration online already and if i try to do it by myself, he will tell them that i am lying which is not true. I have decided to fill all the forms again and take them to the immigration office. He told me that he has seen my documents and he will know if i submit it myself.
My question is: how can he know if I am doing everything from the beggining even he has all information about me?
Yes, what he's doing is illegal. He cannot threaten a client. Tell us what province you're in and we will give you the contact information for the Bar Council for that province.

Please know that this will NOT affect your case. Don't be scared to report crooks like this. Your case will be adjudicated on its merits, reporting a crooked lawyer will NOT AFFECT IT.

Last edited:
Reactions: visatest and jddd

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Before you make any claim for asylum, hope you're aware that your claim is not a solution to dropping out of school to stay on in Canada.

Here's one of your threads that you would want to re-read:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/too-late-to-apply-for-refugee.605236/