+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PR while on Study Permit in Canada

Naseer_k

Jan 1, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I am in my second year of graduate program (PhD) in Canada on study permit. I have 5+ years of foreign work experience(teaching). I want to apply for PR . I need to know will this be a good option or shall I wait until my degree finishes (minimum time 4 years or can exceed too) and then apply under PNP?

Any experience/thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
So far as you have enough points, why not? Note that the cut off point for Sep 18 draw was 462, so might wanna be around 460ish to be selected anytime soon.

Last edited:

Naseer_k

Jan 1, 2019
So far as you have enough points, why not? Note that the cut off point for Sep 18 draw was 462, so might wanna be around 460ish to be selected anytime soon.
Thanks a lot for your response and any suggestions on having some consultant to handle my case or just applying by myself?
Thanks.

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
Thanks a lot for your response and any suggestions on having some consultant to handle my case or just applying by myself?
Thanks.
I will recommend applying yourself as the process is pretty straightforward. This forum has lots of great people ready to answer your questions. Lots of people here applied by themselves with the help of this forum.

Reactions: Naseer_k

aminahc1

Star Member
Apr 6, 2017
If you are eligible, get in the pool! I applied halfway through my masters program and got PR. Going from international student to PR is amazing. I just happened to have all my documents ready when scores were hovering around 425. Today, I would be out of luck. Get in the pool!

Reactions: Naseer_k

Naseer_k

Jan 1, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have a question about this option while checking my CRS from cic site. It asks:

4b) Have you earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate?

Note: to answer yes:

• English or French as a Second Language must not have made up more than half your study
  • you must not have studied under an award that required you to return to your home country after graduation to apply your skills and knowledge
  • you must have studied at a school within Canada (foreign campuses don’t count)
  • you had to be enrolled full time for at least eight months, and have been physically present in Canada for at least eight months
Can I say Yes according to this fourth bullet point as I am in my PhD program here in Canada for the past 12 months ( one year) ?

I will appreciate if there is any suggestion?

Thanks & Regards

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I am in my second year of graduate program (PhD) in Canada on study permit. I have 5+ years of foreign work experience(teaching). I want to apply for PR . I need to know will this be a good option or shall I wait until my degree finishes (minimum time 4 years or can exceed too) and then apply under PNP?

Any experience/thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I did this. Applied for fsw in first year of PhD. Trust me, it's the best way to go.

I became PR in may 2019

Diamond42

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
Hey guys, Please I hope someone will answer my question.

I have a friend who completed his one year of work experience in June 2020 but could not apply for PR because IELTS centers had closed. So by the time he wrote it and got into the pool, his score wasnt high enough. He wrote it four more times, still no ITA, now his wp has expired. He quickly applied for a study permit before it expired though and it came out in 2 weeks (school to start in January but he will defer it i THINK). He is currently doing skip the dishes on his SIN. I understand that he cant work legally in Canada till he starts school. Is he doing the right thing? Will it affect his PR application (he expects an ITA in the next draw).

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Hey guys, Please I hope someone will answer my question.

I have a friend who completed his one year of work experience in June 2020 but could not apply for PR because IELTS centers had closed. So by the time he wrote it and got into the pool, his score wasnt high enough. He wrote it four more times, still no ITA, now his wp has expired. He quickly applied for a study permit before it expired though and it came out in 2 weeks (school to start in January but he will defer it i THINK). He is currently doing skip the dishes on his SIN. I understand that he cant work legally in Canada till he starts school. Is he doing the right thing? Will it affect his PR application (he expects an ITA in the next draw).
A person will require a work permit in order to be lawfully permitted to work in Canada. Working illegally without a work permit can result in a person being issued an exclusion order for a period of one year or a deportation order which is a permanent bar to re-entry to Canada.

I hope the person is answering "YES" to the background questions in future applications.
In this persons' case, he can't work till school starts.

Diamond42

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
A person will require a work permit in order to be lawfully permitted to work in Canada. Working illegally without a work permit can result in a person being issued an exclusion order for a period of one year or a deportation order which is a permanent bar to re-entry to Canada.

I hope the person is answering "YES" to the background questions in future applications.
In this persons' case, he can't work till school starts.
thanks for your reply. Doing online deliveries with skip-the-dishes before school starts is also considered working illegally?

Diamond42

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
How about this please?

Hello all,

Please I need advice here. I am an International student and currently on a scheduled break, which means I can work full-time till class resumes. We are to resume on January 7th. My questions: can I still work full-time from today (January 2nd) up to Wednesday, January 6th? Will the hours I work after January 6th still count for more than 20 hours since its still the same week?

please help!

TIA :)