+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PR while collecting EI

joejk

Apr 20, 2018
Hello everyone,

My case might be a little different. I've been studying and working in Canada since 2014. I've been working for 2 years in Toronto under a valid work permit that expires by the end of 2019. The company I was working for eliminated my role in a round of layoffs in February 2018. I applied for EI (Employment Insurance) since I'm eligible to claim it and I've been collecting EI since the last week of March 2018. I got married to my wife (a Canadian Citizen) in January 2018 and I'm working on the application forms for the PR - under the Spousal sponsorship program and will be applying by the end of April. One of the forms states, that the Sponsor should promise that the principal applicant will not need to apply for social benefits. Me and my wife understand the terms of the sponsorship and she's willing to take responsibility for my expenses, but in my case since I've worked and paid taxes + EI taxes in Canada for 2 years, will collecting EI benefits affects my PR application? I'm hoping immigration will treat this as a unique case because I've worked here under a Work Permit and hopefully will not penalize me for collecting EI during the PR application process.

Thank you in advance!

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hello everyone,

My case might be a little different. I've been studying and working in Canada since 2014. I've been working for 2 years in Toronto under a valid work permit that expires by the end of 2019. The company I was working for eliminated my role in a round of layoffs in February 2018. I applied for EI (Employment Insurance) since I'm eligible to claim it and I've been collecting EI since the last week of March 2018. I got married to my wife (a Canadian Citizen) in January 2018 and I'm working on the application forms for the PR - under the Spousal sponsorship program and will be applying by the end of April. One of the forms states, that the Sponsor should promise that the principal applicant will not need to apply for social benefits. Me and my wife understand the terms of the sponsorship and she's willing to take responsibility for my expenses, but in my case since I've worked and paid taxes + EI taxes in Canada for 2 years, will collecting EI benefits affects my PR application? I'm hoping immigration will treat this as a unique case because I've worked here under a Work Permit and hopefully will not penalize me for collecting EI during the PR application process.

Thank you in advance!
No, they're talking about welfare.

Reactions: joejk

ama25

May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2016
AOR Received.
19-10-2016
Med's Done....
28-08-2016
EI is not welfare. Make sure your wife never collected welfare before you abet your application in. My wife sponsored me while she was on EI and we got approved no problem, now I'm only waiting for the final interview.

Reactions: joejk

joejk

Apr 20, 2018
EI is not welfare. Make sure your wife never collected welfare before you abet your application in. My wife sponsored me while she was on EI and we got approved no problem, now I'm only waiting for the final interview.
Thank you! Good luck on your final interview :)

HereWiR

Apr 7, 2020
Very good thread!! I have the EXACTLY SAME situation! I've been Very worried and confused about it even though I really need some support from EI during the COVID19 pandemic. Even though my dear common law is working full time, and I'm still actively looking for a next job. My lawyer says it shouldn't be a problem coz EI is not social assistance. Besides the pandemic's seriousness is increasing everyday and nobody should take huge risk of their health. So out of love and trust I hope this wouldn't affect PR's processing. I don't want/need to rely on it financially but just for a transition period before everything goes back to normal and jobs are stable.