+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PR, when will I be able to apply for SIN card

zarsco

Star Member
Sep 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone! I am going to apply for my PR (my wife is sponsoring me) from within Canada. My question is at what point will i be able to apply for a SIN card? Do I have to wait for the actual PR card before I can?

thepilot

Nov 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
VO Mexico
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2011
Med's Request
01-07-2016
Med's Done....
10-07-2016
Passport Req..
21-04-2017
After she gets the card or if she applies for an open work permit and show the open work permit.

zacklib

Star Member
Jan 29, 2016
Not
thepilot said:
After she gets the card or if she applies for an open work permit and show the open work permit.
You do not need to wait for the PR card to apply for SIN ..You will be able to apply for SIN as soon as you do the Landing interview and sign your corp. After you sign your corp thats when you become a PR you can the apply for sin right away or at the nearest service Canada

Did you apply for the open work permit?

zacklib

Star Member
Jan 29, 2016
By the way,they don't give out the SIN CARDS anymore, they simply give you a printed No. on a piece of paper :)

zarsco said:
Hi everyone! I am going to apply for my PR (my wife is sponsoring me) from within Canada. My question is at what point will i be able to apply for a SIN card? Do I have to wait for the actual PR card before I can?

zarsco

Star Member
Sep 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zacklib said:
Not
You do not need to wait for the PR card to apply for SIN ..You will be able to apply for SIN as soon as you do the Landing interview and sign your corp. After you sign your corp thats when you become a PR you can the apply for sin right away or at the nearest service Canada

Hi Zacklib thanks so much for the info! My situation is a bit of a weird one i guess. I did not apply for a work Permit and I entered with my UK passport. I am from the Turks and Caicos Islands and it is a UK territory in the Caribbean. I have owned my own IT company there since 2004 and am not looking to work in Canada as we have a very strong economy in Turks and I make a very good living there. I have been in a relationship with my children's (2 girls) mother since 2009 and have only lived as common law (in Canada) since 2013-2014 there after every other month I go back to Turks and Caicos for a week to manage my business. I am trying to build my credit here in Canada but it is pretty evident that I need a SIN to do that. So my wife and I have decided to apply for the PR.

zarsco

Star Member
Sep 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zacklib said:
Not

How long after mailing in the application would I get the COPR?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
zarsco said:
this question was asked in another thread. go there for responses.

zacklib

Star Member
Jan 29, 2016
Alright man. Since you applied inland under the new system its hard to say how long you will be able to get your CORP and apply for the SIN. It was taking 1 to 2 years for inland applicants but they say it will all come to within 12 months under the new system for both inland and outland. So again nobody knows when you can get the CORP at this level. If you applied outland then it would be at least easy to guess how long you would have to wait.

zarsco said: