+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PR renewal if husband doesn't meet residency obligations

skippy1

Apr 4, 2024
Hi all, hoping someone can help me. I'm Canadian and my husband has PR - the card expires in Feb 2025. We have only been back to Canada for short visits, so he won't meet the residency obligations, but we're married. I understand that he has to physically be in Canada to complete the renewal application, but can he leave after submitting the application and have the card sent to him? Has anyone experienced this, and if so did you have to be physically present in Canada to receive the new card? There were some mentions of this on this forum, so it would be great to hear from someone with a similar experience. Thanks all!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi all, hoping someone can help me. I'm Canadian and my husband has PR - the card expires in Feb 2025. We have only been back to Canada for short visits, so he won't meet the residency obligations, but we're married. I understand that he has to physically be in Canada to complete the renewal application, but can he leave after submitting the application and have the card sent to him? Has anyone experienced this, and if so did you have to be physically present in Canada to receive the new card? There were some mentions of this on this forum, so it would be great to hear from someone with a similar experience. Thanks all!
You have to give more details . Let’s cut to chase .
You sponsored him as your spouse to move to Canada . Aka spousal sponsorship

Did you two EVER move to Canada as you mentioned, implied in your sponsorship?

….or just visited ?

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I replied to your other post in the P R Obligations forum, but will add something, here:

Because he will appear, at first glance, to not have met the R.O. when he returns to Canada, he may face extensive questioning regarding his absences from Canada. The officer may/may not ask about the details regarding you (regarding being together abroad) which could possibly count those days towards the R.O.

He will still be allowed to enter, but depending on how the interaction goes with CBSA, he may find himself in receipt of the dreaded 44(1) report. This could lead to PR status being revoked, but it is NOT automatic. The issue, in his case, may in fact boil down to IRCC's decision on `who followed whom'.