+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

applying for PR card with expired passport

KhaledAR1994

Feb 5, 2021
Hey everybody. I’ve been a permanent resident since September 2021 (however, I did not receive a card due to an error in their system, and i only found this out after emailing my MP 3 months ago) and my Saudi passport has expired in July 2022 (I have been in Canada the whole time) - I intended to travel out of Canada this winter so I will indeed be renewing the passport as well. Will I run into any issues applying for a PR card with an expired passport? (it was the passport I had when I got my CoPR).

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey everybody. I’ve been a permanent resident since September 2021 (however, I did not receive a card due to an error in their system, and i only found this out after emailing my MP 3 months ago) and my Saudi passport has expired in July 2022 (I have been in Canada the whole time) - I intended to travel out of Canada this winter so I will indeed be renewing the passport as well. Will I run into any issues applying for a PR card with an expired passport? (it was the passport I had when I got my CoPR).
No. For the new PR Card application, you can use the passport that you had when you landed, even if expired.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html

You must submit these documents:

• Fees: Copy of the receipt showing the amount paid.
  • Photos
    • You will need two (2) identical photos taken within twelve (12) months of the date of this application:
      • put the two (2) photos in a small envelope (no staples or paper clips), and
      • write the name of the applicant on the envelope.
    • You must provide photos that meet the photo specifications. If not, we may return your application. Print the photo specifications (PDF, 614.24 KB) and take them with you to the photographer.

A copy of one of the following primary identity documents:

• your valid passport or travel document or
  • the passport or travel document you had when you became a permanent resident (if applicable, include the passport page that was stamped when you arrived in Canada and became a permanent resident) or
  • the certificate of identity or travel document issued by the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada or a foreign country.

Reactions: armoured