+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PR by doing a Masters in canada?

Yuvvv

Star Member
Sep 9, 2014
Hey guys i have some questions and hope to get answers here.

I am sitting on 395 CRS and can increase it to maybe 440 by doing IELTS again. Ans this would still not be enough to get an invite for EE as the points seems that it will not drop below 450.

I could try my luck with PNP but this is also not a sure thing.

So i wanted to know what if i go and do a Postgraduate for 1 year in canada. Then i will get 1 year to work with it. Do you think it will be easier to apply for PR then?

And i heard that for Quebec it's totally different. When you go and study there, you can stary applying while studying and by the end of your studies, you will already get your PR. Is this true?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
That had also been my plan before the PNPs opened: get a masters degree, PGWP and then CEC, or PNP as a graduate from the province.

dell2

Feb 3, 2011
Calgary, Alberta.
You can play with score here and see what works for your situation. (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp)
SINP is open today you can check if your NOC is listed there.
You can go for study permit but make sure get at least 2 yr course. 1 year might not be enough time for nomination process. And you only get PGWP once in lifetime so make full use of it.
Quebec idk much about that.

Prats6

Aug 31, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
4th April 2017
Med's Done....
Upfront
Had thought about this for one of my friends who is sitting around the same score. But the graduation itself does not help - the work ex in Canada does. If you haven't done a masters - which I assume you haven't, then probably doing this in a related course which is job oriented is not a bad idea actually. It gives you some time to get used to the place and make a better decision.

It's not a binary decision really - everything comes into the picture, finances, course utility, job scene and PNPs. And only you can answer all of those.

Yuvvv

Star Member
Sep 9, 2014
i'm still thinking about it. I don't know what is the best solution available. EE would not be any soon for me and PNP's , well i'm not sure if i'll be nominated and if ever i get nominated by a province, do i need to live there forever?

I tried to apply for the NBPNP recently (still no replies from them) and on their website it's mentioned that i have to live and work there but not specified for how long. Anyone got any idea on this?

And as for the postgrad studies, what if i spend so much money and still don't get the PR.