+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PGWP and study permit at same time?

Chetan Kaur

Aug 25, 2019
I just finished my study in Canada
in August 2019 and I am going to apply for PGWP in September 2019. Along with that, I have registered for CPA. It is a 2.5 year long program that need me to study part time along with working full time. Can I apply for PGWP and study permit both at the same time?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
No, these two permits are not compatible.
As a person on study-permit is not allowed to work more than 20 hours a week but on PGWP you are obviously allowed to work full time.
I believe all studies longer than 6 months require a study permit even if they are part time so you cant do both.
You can also reach out to the school and see if the rules allow you to register without a study permit.

uaslam

Apr 22, 2019
As a person on study-permit is not allowed to work more than 20 hours a week but on PGWP you are obviously allowed to work full time.
I believe all studies longer than 6 months require a study permit even if they are part time so you cant do both.
You can also reach out to the school and see if the rules allow you to register without a study permit.
That is absolutely incorrect! I just spoke with IRCC agent. We are allowed to work full time with studies if we have valid PGWP. She said and I quote "20 hours limit only applies if you have only the study permit. You don't have to limit to 20 hours if you also have a valid PGWP with the study permit".

uaslam

Apr 22, 2019
I have seen many senior members of this group claiming that study permit and PGWP are "not compatible". I don't know how they reached that decision and it sure ain't based on facts or by talking to an actual IRCC agent.

Engr_Sam

Nov 5, 2019

verify it with another IRCC agent may be the person who told you this didnt understood it properly, you can only have one permit at a time u cant have both and during study permit u cannot work fulltime

uaslam

Apr 22, 2019

verify it with another IRCC agent may be the person who told you this didnt understood it properly, you can only have one permit at a time u cant have both and during study permit u cannot work fulltime
I quoted exactly what I was told and she understood my query completely and responded with the answer I wrote above. You would trust your own understanding than an IRCC agent. Just in case, I got her name and ID as well.

Engr_Sam

Nov 5, 2019
I quoted exactly what I was told and she understood my query completely and responded with the answer I wrote above. You would trust your own understanding than an IRCC agent. Just in case, I got her name and ID as well.
still if something goes wrong trust me u wont be able to do anything with that ID and agent name

uaslam

Apr 22, 2019
still if something goes wrong trust me u wont be able to do anything with that ID and agent name
Why would an IRCC agent give me wrong information ? And where did you get your information? From an immigration lawyer or a border agent or VO ?

Engr_Sam

Nov 5, 2019
Why would an IRCC agent give me wrong information ? And where did you get your information? From an immigration lawyer or a border agent or VO ?

from a immigration lawyer and CBSA agent as my mom had the same scenario

uaslam

Apr 22, 2019
from a immigration lawyer and CBSA agent as my mom had the same scenario
Oh well!! I don't know what to say then. My friend spoke with an IRCC agent and was told the same thing that as long as you have both valid permits, you can excercise them both.

uaslam

Apr 22, 2019
I know of a situation where a spouse of an international student held a open work permit and applied for study permit. She was asked to surrender the open work permit to get the study permit. Unless you are asked to surrender the permit, you can exercise it

uaslam

Apr 22, 2019
Border agent handed me back my study permit after issuing me PGWP saying that "since your study permit is valid is for 1 more year, I am giving it back to you". He would have kept it if it was not valid anymore.

brolle

Dec 20, 2020
Border agent handed me back my study permit after issuing me PGWP saying that "since your study permit is valid is for 1 more year, I am giving it back to you". He would have kept it if it was not valid anymore.
Hi,
Did you proceed with both permits simultaneously? If so, did you encounter any problems?