Applying for PGWP after becoming part time student due to pregnancy

Stressedgirl

Star Member
Oct 13, 2015
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi. Has anyone applied for PGWP after becoming part time student due taking one term off because of having a baby. I know it’s a grey area but just want to know for my cousin. What are her chances of getting a post grad work permit? She did a full time masters program from Western Univeristy except for taking one term off.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To be approved for a PGWP, you must have studied as a full time student continuously. Part time studies are only allowed in the very last semester.

If her studies weren't continuous (i.e. if she took an unscheduled break in her studies) and/or if she was a part time student for more than just the last semester, she should be expecting a refusal.

Stressedgirl

Star Member
Oct 13, 2015
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So what kind of work permit then she should be applying? She was continuous except one term which was 4 months for birth of child. And it was scheduled with university. It’s just unfair that she is graduating and studying from such competitive program and just because of having child she won’t be even considered for pgwp. What are her options? She plans to stay in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So what kind of work permit then she should be applying? She was continuous except one term which was 4 months for birth of child. And it was scheduled with university. It’s just unfair that she is graduating and studying from such competitive program and just because of having child she won’t be even considered for pgwp. What are her options? She plans to stay in Canada.
She can certainly try applying for the PGWP. Based on the information you've provided, it's not clear if the PGWP would be approved or refused. When I say scheduled, the break needs to be a scheduled break in the program (meaning all of the students taking the program are on break). Anyway - recommend she try applying. If IRCC determines she doesn't qualify and she is refused, then she would need to secure a job offer from an employer in Canada and that employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA so that she can apply for a closed work permit.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It’s just unfair that she is graduating and studying from such competitive program and just because of having child she won’t be even considered for pgwp.
Pretty sure that all the details for qualifying for a PGWP are readily available in the website. Can’t see how it’s “unfair” when she took the time off and had a baby mid-studies. Just don’t see that as unfair nor see how that is IRCC’s fault.

Stressedgirl

Star Member
Oct 13, 2015
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pretty sure that all the details for qualifying for a PGWP are readily available in the website. Can’t see how it’s “unfair” when she took the time off and had a baby mid-studies. Just don’t see that as unfair nor see how that is IRCC’s fault.
Having a child or an illness or anything like that is not intentional. Sometimes unwanted pregnancies happen. Also, if no one can fire you from your work for having a baby, why on earth this should be any different. And yes, the details are there. If you read my post, we are looking for similar experiences. It’s not like she is conning IRCC, she is just weighing her options.

Aneep Kumar

Mar 14, 2018
Ottawa
No problem at all. You will get pgwp. But make sure to attach delivery slips or medical when baby was delivered. IRCC is not fool, they understand these things. I say that you will get your work permit approved.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Reactions: Aneep Kumar

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
No problem at all. You will get pgwp. But make sure to attach delivery slips or medical when baby was delivered. IRCC is not fool, they understand these things. I say that you will get your work permit approved.
IRCC is however an official bureaucracy that has published rules, procedures and guides. The people who are tasked with decision making are constrained by those and only have limited flexibility, where permitted by law. Don't kid yourself that they might "feel sorry for someone".

Aneep Kumar

Mar 14, 2018
Ottawa
IRCC is however an official bureaucracy that has published rules, procedures and guides. The people who are tasked with decision making are constrained by those and only have limited flexibility, where permitted by law. Don't kid yourself that they might "feel sorry for someone".
I know One person in my school who finished 1st sem and when he was in second he got accidented and could not attend second semester. Then he has to enroll in the same course after 4 months to finish his program. He provided with his medical from Doctors saying he was hospitalized. He got his work permit.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I know One person in my school who finished 1st sem and when he was in second he got accidented and could not attend second semester. Then he has to enroll in the same course after 4 months to finish his program. He provided with his medical from Doctors saying he was hospitalized. He got his work permit.
At best any comments here are really only speculation given every case is of course different so the OPs cousin should focus on pulling together all the necessary documentation/ evidence of the pregnancy/ birth, the authorisation from the University for any time off or part time study and finally completion of the masters.

Her fate then is really in the hands of IRCC , she may be lucky she may not anything else here as said is speculation . Even if someone comes on this forum and says they had a similar experience that does not of course mean anything as that experience would be unique. So she should apply and hope luck is on her side and at least she can work until a decision is made.

Reactions: Aneep Kumar