+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Permanent Residence with Multiple Sclerosis.

Korntana

Sep 21, 2022
The biggest issue is that you will have to commit to Canada for around the next 5 years before you get PR. You are so close to be inadmissible just from your medication and a few appointments with a neurologist, general care with a GP, a few prescriptions a year and anMRI would likely put you over the limit. During that time your health will likely change and unfortunately change for the worse. Nobody will be able to predict your health status down the road so you will need to be prepared to come to Canada for 5 years but then get denied PR and have to return home. You have to decide the level of risk you are willing to undertake especially because IRCC will really be evaluating your health 5 years frI’m but 5-10 years from then. You should also think about family support. Living with MS without lots of family around can be very difficult. You should also consider whether you are getting good healthcare. The Canadian health system is in turmoil at the moment so if you have easy access to good physicians that is another thing that I would consider. In terms of drug costs Canada doesn’t have a national pharmacare system. In sone provinces there are programs where if your drug cost (if you have pharma insurance amount would be after pharma Insurance pays their part) is a large part of your income the government will help with some of the cost. You still have to pay a fair amount but not the whole amount.
Getting denied PR and having to return home is what I fear the most. Thank you for the head up btw. I think I might need to consult with immigration lawyer before I apply for college.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Getting denied PR and having to return home is what I fear the most. Thank you for the head up btw. I think I might need to consult with immigration lawyer before I apply for college.
Unfortunately immigration lawyer can only give you so much information. It will be mostly out of your control since you can’t determine how fast your MS is going to progress. Remember the goal of a study permit is for you to gain knowledge in Canada and return home. An argument saying that you have spent so much money and now you are now being forced to go home doesn’t carry much weight. Your lawyer may be give you some options to try but they have no idea what the outcomes will be because it will be very dependent on the current cost of your healthcare and future costs. You should also be looking at your family’s financial situation. If you are taking a loan, using all your parent’s funds, etc.going to Canada knowing there is a decent chance you won’t get PR would be very tough. If your familiy has lots of resources and if you had to return home it wouldn’t be a big financial loss then I would be more apt to try and see what happens.