+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Passport: who can be a "Reference"?

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
Aloha folks!

I've been reading about the process to apply for passport.
It is very clear on CIC website who the Guarantor has to be.
But, when it comes to the References, one line confused me a little:

References must:

• Have known you for at least two years
    [*]Cannot be family members
    [*]Must be 18 years of age or older

So... what exactly is FAMILY here? Is family considered just "blood relatives"? Or my spouse's family is also considered my family?

Babi22

Apr 23, 2015
Montreal
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
09-2009
LANDED..........
16-02-2010
Bigudi said:
Aloha folks!

References must:

So... what exactly is FAMILY here? Is family considered just "blood relatives"? Or my spouse's family is also considered my family?

Good question. Call Canada Passport and they will clear it out right there. We did call them when my wife applied for her passport few months ago and they were very helpfull...much better and efficient than CIC call center lol.

Please share with us what they say.

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
Well, I did not call them yet, but I found something in this website:
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/italy-italie/consular_services_consulaires/passport-passeport.aspx?lang=eng

Section 8 – References — a reminder that you cannot use members of your or your spouse's family as references

So...
:-[

samreentariq

Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
05-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-02-2012
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
28-05-2012
Med's Request
06-08-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
07-10-2012
You can use your friends or coworkers given they have known you for at least 2 years. My boss ended up using my name as reference.

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
samreentariq said:
You can use your friends or coworkers given they have known you for at least 2 years. My boss ended up using my name as reference.
Yes, I am aware of that. I was trying to avoid that. I don't have my current job for long enough, and i did not leave the last one on the "best terms", if you know what I mean.
I will seek some good old friends.

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
Bigudi said:
Aloha folks!

References must:

About guarantor - I'm confused - is it someone who is holding a Canadian passport for 5 years; or some one holding a 5-year-type-passport? (you see, the 5 year passport, 10 year passport, etc)? Thanks.

samreentariq

Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
05-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-02-2012
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
28-05-2012
Med's Request
06-08-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
07-10-2012
boltz said:
About guarantor - I'm confused - is it someone who is holding a Canadian passport for 5 years; or some one holding a 5-year-type-passport? (you see, the 5 year passport, 10 year passport, etc)? Thanks.
Guarantor requirements if you are applying in Canada. Your guarantor must: Hold a 5-year or 10-year Canadian passport that is valid or has been expired for no more than one year, on the day you submit your application. Have known you (the applicant) personally for at least 2 years.

A Guarantor as stated above is someone whose currently has a 5 or 10 year passport or if the person's passport has expired it should be within the last year and have known you for 2 years.

Babi22

Apr 23, 2015
Montreal
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
09-2009
LANDED..........
16-02-2010
samreentariq said:
Guarantor requirements if you are applying in Canada. Your guarantor must: Hold a 5-year or 10-year Canadian passport that is valid or has been expired for no more than one year, on the day you submit your application. Have known you (the applicant) personally for at least 2 years.

A Guarantor as stated above is someone whose currently has a 5 or 10 year passport or if the person's passport has expired it should be within the last year and have known you for 2 years.
Which in other words mean that the person does not need to have the passport SINCE 5 years or more. But just has a passport that is valid for 5 years or more (not a special passport, 1 year passport or 2 years passports).
If somebody recently became a Citizen and has a Canadian passport since - even - 1 days (a 5 years type passport at least), he can become your guarantor.

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
boltz said:
Your guarantor must:

- Hold a 5-year or 10-year Canadian passport that is valid or has been expired for no more than one year, on the day you submit your application.
- Have known you (the applicant) personally for at least 2 years.
- In the case of a child, the guarantor must have known you (the parent or legal guardian who is applying on behalf of the child) personally for at least two years and must have - - knowledge of the child.
- Be a Canadian citizen 18 years of age or older.
- Have been 16 years of age or older when he or she applied for his or her own passport.
- Provide the requested information contained in his or her passport.
- Be accessible to the passport program for verification.

pardesifr

Jul 19, 2010
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2013
AOR Received.
March 2013
File Transfer...
To London in 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 2013
Passport Req..
July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 2015
LANDED..........
Sep 2015
I just learnt this but why do we need a guarantor to have a passport ? What if we know no one (who is Canadian citizen) and that you have only strict professional relationship with your coworkers.

Does this mean you can not travel ? this seem crazy

omonyja

Aug 13, 2015
You can use anybody as a reference. For one of my references, I used a friend in the US. As long as you have know the person for a long time. You're advised to use someone in the same country but it's not required.

Also, you can get a passport without a guarantor... you have to fill a different form and it might delay processing of your application

If you cannot find a guarantor

If you have not known an eligible guarantor for at least two years, complete form PPTC 132 "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor" available from any passport office or by telephone.

Important: A person listed as a reference on the Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor cannot be listed as a reference on the passport application.

The "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor" form must be sworn to or declared before, and signed by, a person authorized by law to administer an oath or a solemn declaration. If completed outside Canada, a qualified official includes a Canadian or British diplomatic or consular representative, or a qualified local official (for example, a civil servant, or member of Parliament).

References
Two references are needed for passport renewal applications and new passport applications.

References must:

Have known you for at least two years
Cannot be family members
Must be 18 years of age or older
You cannot use your guarantor as a reference. To avoid delays, is it better for your references to live in the same country as you.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
pardesifr said:
I just learnt this but why do we need a guarantor to have a passport ? What if we know no one (who is Canadian citizen) and that you have only strict professional relationship with your coworkers.

Does this mean you can not travel ? this seem crazy
Having a Guarantor holding a valid passport makes it more easier for CIC to confirm in the system that the guarantor is, in fact, Canadian and that this person actually exist.

IllaBee

Star Member
Dec 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
Having a Guarantor holding a valid passport makes it more easier for CIC to confirm in the system that the guarantor is, in fact, Canadian and that this person actually exist.
I get the "guarantor" part. But for references, do they actually call them? I'd rather use my "real" friends who are in the U.S. as references. I like to keep my work peers and personal business separate. Just my two cents!

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
Babi22 said:
Which in other words mean that the person does not need to have the passport SINCE 5 years or more. But just has a passport that is valid for 5 years or more (not a special passport, 1 year passport or 2 years passports).
If somebody recently became a Citizen and has a Canadian passport since - even - 1 days (a 5 years type passport at least), he can become your guarantor.
Great, thanks - that's what I wanted to know. Thanks, samreentariq, babi22 n bigudi

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Sometimes they call references. You can use your US friends, afterall they would be able to answer questions about you compared to co-workers.
You could also ask your pastor, family doctor, lawyer, etc if they have known you for at least 2 yrs.

IllaBee said:
I get the "guarantor" part. But for references, do they actually call them? I'd rather use my "real" friends who are in the U.S. as references. I like to keep my work peers and personal business separate. Just my two cents!