+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for passport outside Canada

Fz2726

May 17, 2022
Hi, I have my oath ceremony coming up on 1st June for which I am flying to Canada. However, I am currently working in the UK due to which I have to come back right after my oath. Can I request for my citizenship certificate to be sent outside of Canada to my uk address? Or do one of my family members need to give it to me?
Secondly, I have seen that we can apply for passport outside of Canada but wanted to confirm if this is true?
Thanks

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Hi, I have my oath ceremony coming up on 1st June for which I am flying to Canada. However, I am currently working in the UK due to which I have to come back right after my oath. Can I request for my citizenship certificate to be sent outside of Canada to my uk address? Or do one of my family members need to give it to me?
Secondly, I have seen that we can apply for passport outside of Canada but wanted to confirm if this is true?
Thanks
So yes I'm also in the UK and flew back for oath and then my brother sent my my certificate. You can apply for a passport outside of Canada and I did it through the London High Commission.

Obviously forms to fill, make payment online and include receipt, photos to get which can be done, references can be anyone but guarantor needs to sign the form so if applying from outside of Canada i.e. UK, the guarantor must be from a specific list of professions and can be done from the the UK.

Current time to get first Canadian passport is 4-8 weeks as confirmed via email with the embassy.

Reactions: snoopyta

Jakke

Star Member
Nov 6, 2021
Thanks
I got my certificate sent (by DHL) to me by a person in Canada who signs for my mail, and my passport application was with Canadian embassy where I am. No problem.

Reactions: snoopyta

Orlaith

Nov 15, 2013
This is good to know. I have been waiting for my oath since i passed the test in October 2020 and will have to fly back to complete the process. Outside of Canada at the moment for my job also.

UnleashedFX

Oct 21, 2016
On the same boat. Will fly to Canada for oath, but would have to fly out after I get the certificate.

Just to be clear:

1. Once you receive your certificate you can either have someone send it to you OR you can travel with it?
2. Then you have to submit that certificate along with the other documents to the embassy/consulate?
3. Do they give you back the certificate after they issue the passport?

Fz2726

May 17, 2022
So yes I'm also in the UK and flew back for oath and then my brother sent my my certificate. You can apply for a passport outside of Canada and I did it through the London High Commission.

Obviously forms to fill, make payment online and include receipt, photos to get which can be done, references can be anyone but guarantor needs to sign the form so if applying from outside of Canada i.e. UK, the guarantor must be from a specific list of professions and can be done from the the UK.

Current time to get first Canadian passport is 4-8 weeks as confirmed via email with the embassy.
thank you so much -this was very helpful

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
On the same boat. Will fly to Canada for oath, but would have to fly out after I get the certificate.

Just to be clear:

1. Once you receive your certificate you can either have someone send it to you OR you can travel with it?
2. Then you have to submit that certificate along with the other documents to the embassy/consulate?
3. Do they give you back the certificate after they issue the passport?
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes....I'm still waiting on mine to be returned, that's always panicky as I don't want them to lose it. Mine has been now 4 weeks and still waiting on news from them.

Reactions: UnleashedFX

Rainy_day

Mar 20, 2019
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes....I'm still waiting on mine to be returned, that's always panicky as I don't want them to lose it. Mine has been now 4 weeks and still waiting on news from them.
Hi Dal,
Just curious because I plan to do what you did. Are you/were you a UK citizen or are you in the UK on a work permit?

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Hi Dal,
Just curious because I plan to do what you did. Are you/were you a UK citizen or are you in the UK on a work permit?
Born and bred British man so yes it made it easier for me to return back to the UK.....I do intend on returning back to Canada as my daughter was born there and she'll probably kill me if we don't return but at least with getting the Citizenship it means I can do it on my own schedule.

Reactions: Rainy_day

Rainy_day

Mar 20, 2019
Born and bred British man so yes it made it easier for me to return back to the UK.....I do intend on returning back to Canada as my daughter was born there and she'll probably kill me if we don't return but at least with getting the Citizenship it means I can do it on my own schedule.
That’s great! Hope you get your passport soon.

Fz2726

May 17, 2022

For the passport application, did you apply via post or in person? And when did you apply?
thanks