+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for open work permit from study permit

adamzakayev

Dec 5, 2016
Seeking a lawyer who can advise and complete an application for open work permit. I am currently a 2nd year International student at Memorial University, NL. My sponsor (father)had stroke 4 months ago leaving him paralyzed and unable to support the finance any longer. I have been living with my fiance who is also an international student for 3 years now which according to NL law is considered common-law relationship. Can I under any category apply for open work permit as I won't be able to afford my next semester in 2019. Thank yoh

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Seeking a lawyer who can advise and complete an application for open work permit. I am currently a 2nd year International student at Memorial University, NL. My sponsor (father)had stroke 4 months ago leaving him paralyzed and unable to support the finance any longer. I have been living with my fiance who is also an international student for 3 years now which according to NL law is considered common-law relationship. Can I under any category apply for open work permit as I won't be able to afford my next semester in 2019. Thank yoh
You don't need a lawyer. It is a simple process to apply to change your status to worker.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html

adamzakayev

Dec 5, 2016
Thank you !

I did follow up on that link and have an application package ready. Was wondering if this application could have any negative impact on my status as I have not come accross any post/person applying to change their status under similar situation.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you !

I did follow up on that link and have an application package ready. Was wondering if this application could have any negative impact on my status as I have not come accross any post/person applying to change their status under similar situation.
The school is required to report your absence, so your study permit should be cancelled after that anyways, regardless of what happens with the work permit app.

If you are genuinely common-law, there should be no issues.