+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for New PR Program (International Graduate) - Need Guidance

Castlevania

Apr 25, 2021
Hello friends,

I want to apply for the new PR program that just opened up and will be available on May 6th (2021). I will be going for the international graduate stream. The problem is that I've learned that I would need to provide proof of my language proficiency. However, I have checked and there aren't any dates for IELTS available for me to book. I have just recently finished my exams and will be receiving my Bachelor's Degree in English (Hons) from Carleton University in June (2021). I have also worked as a Swing Manager at a Restaurant for two years and I have my old IELTS result from 2015 in which I received an overall band score of 8. My plan is to apply for this new PR program soon after it opens using my unofficial transcript from university showing that I am eligible to graduate.

Will there be an issue if I use my BA English degree, previous work experience in customer service and my old IELTS result to prove my proficiency in English to the immigration officer? Of course, I will explain the situation to him/her that there are COVID restrictions in place and there isn't any open spot available to give my IELTS test.

Keep in mind that the concrete details about the documentation required for this new PR program will only be provided after May 6th. Thank you in advance.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Hello friends,

I want to apply for the new PR program that just opened up and will be available on May 6th (2021). I will be going for the international graduate stream. The problem is that I've learned that I would need to provide proof of my language proficiency. However, I have checked and there aren't any dates for IELTS available for me to book. I have just recently finished my exams and will be receiving my Bachelor's Degree in English (Hons) from Carleton University in June (2021). I have also worked as a Swing Manager at a Restaurant for two years and I have my old IELTS result from 2015 in which I received an overall band score of 8. My plan is to apply for this new PR program soon after it opens using my unofficial transcript from university showing that I am eligible to graduate.

Will there be an issue if I use my BA English degree, previous work experience in customer service and my old IELTS result to prove my proficiency in English to the immigration officer? Of course, I will explain the situation to him/her that there are COVID restrictions in place and there isn't any open spot available to give my IELTS test.

Keep in mind that the concrete details about the documentation required for this new PR program will only be provided after May 6th. Thank you in advance.

IRCC has clearly explained there are no exceptions for the language test, and in that case your application will be denied.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/trpr-language-testing.html

Now regarding your graduation, IRCC hasn't yet confirmed on that, I'm just like you, finished my exams, waiting for official letter of completion.
IRCC has clearly mentioned the rules "for now" , until the official forms come out, we can't say for sure.
It will be logical for IRCC to exempt students who finished their programs this April to apply showing unofficial transcripts, until they say something like that, below rules will apply;

1. Have been granted one of the following credentials, following the completion of a program study from an eligible institution as defined in a):
    • a degree (Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctorate) which must be a degree issued on completion of a program of at least 8 months in duration;
    • a degree, diploma, certificate, or attestation issued on completion of a program of any duration leading to an occupation in a skilled trade (listed in Annex A); or
    • one or more diploma/certificate/attestation where the following conditions are met:
      • For diplomas/certificates/attestations, each program of study must be at least 8 months in duration and the combined length of the credential(s) must be equivalent to a two-year credential (at least 16 months in duration).
      • For the DVS and AVS, each program of study must be at least 900 hours in duration and the combined program of study must be at least 1,800 hours in duration.
        • When combining one AVS with one DVS, the length of the AVS may be less than 900 hours if the combined length is at least 1,800 hours.
      • For greater clarity, each combined credential must meet the eligible program requirements as defined in a), including the completion no earlier than January 2017.
Now with the little info we have, IRCC says we need the completion letter.

Another condition of the public policy;

1. Have submitted an application for permanent residence using the forms provided by the Department for this public policy and which must include at the time of application all proof necessary to satisfy an officer that the applicant meets the conditions (eligibility requirements) of this public policy, except for evidence required to demonstrate physical presence in Canada at the time of application approval;

Last edited:

Castlevania

Apr 25, 2021
IRCC has clearly explained there are no exceptions for the language test, and in that case your application will be denied.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/trpr-language-testing.html

Now regarding your graduation, IRCC hasn't yet confirmed on that, I'm just like you, finished my exams, waiting for official letter of completion.
IRCC has clearly mentioned the rules "for now" , until the official forms come out, we can't say for sure.
It will be logical for IRCC to exempt students who finished their programs this April to apply showing unofficial transcripts, until they say something like that, below rules will apply;

1. Have been granted one of the following credentials, following the completion of a program study from an eligible institution as defined in a):
    • a degree (Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctorate) which must be a degree issued on completion of a program of at least 8 months in duration;
    • a degree, diploma, certificate, or attestation issued on completion of a program of any duration leading to an occupation in a skilled trade (listed in Annex A); or
    • one or more diploma/certificate/attestation where the following conditions are met:
      • For diplomas/certificates/attestations, each program of study must be at least 8 months in duration and the combined length of the credential(s) must be equivalent to a two-year credential (at least 16 months in duration).
      • For the DVS and AVS, each program of study must be at least 900 hours in duration and the combined program of study must be at least 1,800 hours in duration.
        • When combining one AVS with one DVS, the length of the AVS may be less than 900 hours if the combined length is at least 1,800 hours.
      • For greater clarity, each combined credential must meet the eligible program requirements as defined in a), including the completion no earlier than January 2017.
Now with the little info we have, IRCC says we need the completion letter.

Another condition of the public policy;

1. Have submitted an application for permanent residence using the forms provided by the Department for this public policy and which must include at the time of application all proof necessary to satisfy an officer that the applicant meets the conditions (eligibility requirements) of this public policy, except for evidence required to demonstrate physical presence in Canada at the time of application approval;
Hi, thank you for your response. Surely they must have exemptions in regards to language testing? Especially since I have a Bachelor's Degree in English from a Canadian institute. I don't know what to do. Because I can't find any available spot to give my IELTS during the upcoming months. And the application portal for the International Graduate stream will be closed by June most likely...

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Since the notice of April 22 that online IELTS results are accepted due to COVID-19, there's a huge chance IRCC might accept online grades or graduation status showing you've completed the program , for recent graduates.

Reactions: Anya833

Castlevania

Apr 25, 2021
Since the notice of April 22 that online IELTS results are accepted due to COVID-19, there's a huge chance IRCC might accept online grades or graduation status showing you've completed the program , for recent graduates.
Since I can't find any availability for IELTS, I'm going to roll the dice and apply. Hopefully God will watch over us.

Anya833

Star Member
Jul 5, 2020
Since I can't find any availability for IELTS, I'm going to roll the dice and apply. Hopefully God will watch over us.
The system will be probably designed in a way that it won't let you apply if you don't have ielts g that's no longer than 2 years old. And people are advising to not apply with letter of explanation and without ielts because your application will be refused.

Castlevania

Apr 25, 2021
The system will be probably designed in a way that it won't let you apply if you don't have ielts g that's no longer than 2 years old. And people are advising to not apply with letter of explanation and without ielts because your application will be refused.
Alright in that case, fingers crossed they release new seats. I'll keep checking. Good luck to you in your application.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018

Goodluck, anxiously waiting for a document checklist. Hope IRCC understands peoples' issues and relaxes some requirements.

mikeymyke

Apr 24, 2021
Alright in that case, fingers crossed they release new seats. I'll keep checking. Good luck to you in your application.
I don't think your argument will be valid not just because of what the others said here, but you mentioned you only tried to apply for IELTS, there's also CELPIP, have you attempted to apply there? I don't think IRCC would consider you only attempting to apply to one English test center while ignoring hte other would make them think you've done the best you could at securing a test. Also I don't think the argument where IRCC will be ok as long as you provide a valid reason why you couldn't obtain the documents (by not being able to book a test) will stand, since everyone else is on the same boat having to apply for either IELTS or CELPIP online, and they were able to get spots. They were just more proactive than you were (lots of people began to apply for English test the day this program was announced, hence that's why the IELTS & CELPIP sites crashed).

And finally, IRCC has already addressed the fact that English testing centres have reduced capacity due to COVID, by allowing you to submit your results online rather than waiting for the paper results.

Why don't you just keep checking CELPIP for open slots? They periodically release early seats. A week ago, I applied and only got a Jun 29 spot, then just a couple days ago, I was able to change it to a May 7 spot.

Last edited:

Bryan02

Star Member
Aug 8, 2016
I wouldn’t apply if you don’t have ielts. Like EE, there’d be a questionnaire to make sure your eligible before you can apply. If you misrepresent and add a letter of explanation, that’d have precaution from IRCC.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
An exemption won't be granted and many of us believe that you won't even be able to submit an application unless you have valid language test results (meaning the application portal will reject you immediately). If the IRCC portal doesn't automatically reject you, then IRCC will reject you once they see your application. As others have said, you need to focus on trying to book either an IELTS or CELPIP testing. You need valid test results. This is your only option if you want to successfully apply. Good luck and keep checking the test booking sites.

Reactions: Bryan02

Castlevania

Apr 25, 2021
Hi friends!

Got good news. I just managed to find a date for IELTS within my city. For 13th of June (2021). June is also when I receive my actual degree from university so this is not too bad. Seat is confirmed (luckily). Y'all think that the applications would be open till then? Should I try for an earlier date?