+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for my sister, a retiree and a U.S. Citizen , as last member of the family to reunite w family

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you for your advice! I know is not a simple case but I wont give up easily. If she has close relatives that she can be with, then is a diff story. A lifestyle change is a preference, but the needs to be with family is much more than that. As she gets older, living and being alone all by herself will become psychological and mental challenging. this is really a case of family reunion.
As pointed out by other memebers not having children is a choice (adoption is an option) and she didn't choose to immigrate close to her relatives when she was younger and may be qualified. That's also a life choice.
Since she has lived in USA most of her life, she can setup some care system there.
Don't get me wrong, I do not have children as well. So it's my choice to be possibily alone when I get old. I just need to respect my choice.

H&C isn't really an option for her. Moving to a border town so hers and your visit can be easier could be an option.
Unless IRCC have new sponsorship policy in the future (which I don't see it coming), there is no option to sponsor her.
Many parents cannot come to Canada to stay with their children. So if any new policy is coming up, they will get the priority.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
you made an interesting pt. So she is not planning to claim status and staying here illegally. She wants to apply to come here permanently n so she doesn't have to manage 2 homes. she likes to continue to visit when she can. Are you saying If the application gets rejected, they might not let her come in next time to even visit?
Yes if denied H&C she could have to rouble even visiting Canada. Filing an H&C application is essentially declaring that you want to live in Canada permanently so there will be a fear that if she enters Canada she will no leave. H&C applications are taking a long time at the moment because there are so many people applying. If your sister applied while in Canada visiting she can attempt to extend her stay by applying online to extend her stay but even if she does receive an extension her extension may end before she gets a response about her H&C application or she may even get a denial to her extension request. That is how some H&C applicants end up remaining in Canada without status. Being in Canada during processing period of an H&C application tends to help the application so many choose to remain in Canada without status waiting for the results of their H&C application which can lead to them waiting without status.