+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for my PGWP and spouse Open Work permit

oasis.gc1

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Hi,

I need your inputs on my situation. I was a full time masters student.

Study Permit Expiry - Aug 2nd, 2015
Spouse's Work Permit Expiry - Aug 2nd, 2015

I am planning to submit my PGWP and my wife's Open Work Permit before April 2, 2015, but the problem is that I do not have a job right now. Now my question is:

Can I submit my pgwp and my wife's owp extension together

Can I submit our app (my PGWP and my wife's Open Work Permit) with Appointment Letter only (without Salary Slip)?

Please share your experiences if anyone you had the same situation OR if you have any other way out. My wife is working full-time and I cant afford to lose her job

Awaiting response from the members and experts, thanks for your time.

Cheers

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your question is answered in this thread:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/owp-for-spouse-of-pgwp-holder-t108291.0.html

You won't be able to submit the OWP for your wife until you have started a full time job that is NOC A, B or 0.

oasis.gc1

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Thanks.

I have completed my masters and will have an appointment letter by next week. Can I apply for my PGWP and my wife's owp extension together with my appointment letter?

Thanks again for your time

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
oasis.gc1 said:
Thanks.

I have completed my masters and will have an appointment letter by next week. Can I apply for my PGWP and my wife's owp extension together with my appointment letter?

Thanks again for your time
This question is answered in the link I posted previously. You must have started the job and be working in it in order to apply for the OWP. An appointment letter isn't sufficient.

oasis.gc1

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
scylla said:
This question is answered in the link I posted previously. You must have started the job and be working in it in order to apply for the OWP. An appointment letter isn't sufficient.
Thank you.

I checked with the Cic almost 4 times on different days and they mentioned that I can submit my pgwp and my wife's owp together. I am just confused how to do it. The other option that I have it is to apply for my pgwp first and then apply for my wife's owp when my pgwp is in progress.

Thoughts please

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
I dont understand ur wife's work permit has already expired? what is her current status in canada? is she not in canada?

oasis.gc1

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
mead said:
I dont understand ur wife's work permit has already expired? what is her current status in canada? is she not in canada?
Hi mead

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. My wife's current status is worker and her work permit is expiring on Aug 2nd 2015 (there was typo in my post). Her OWP is tied to my Study Permit.

Thank you again.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
oasis.gc1 said:
Hi mead

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. My wife's current status is worker and her work permit is expiring on Aug 2nd 2015 (there was typo in my post). Her OWP is tied to my Study Permit.

Thank you again.
I may be wrong but i think u should apply for PGWP and ur spouse should apply for change of status from worker to visitor. This way she will get a visitors permit and once u get ur PGWP and find a skilled job apply for her SOWP with letter from ur employer about the job. Again I may be wrong but u need to decide soon it takes a long time for PGWP it took me 2 months roughly. again this is just my opinion

svo

Jun 21, 2013
Hi everyone,

I have such question I already applied for my PGWP and OWP for my spouse together just for about a month ago. And at that moment I did not submit any proof that Im working on full on a position from NOC A,B, or 0.
My file due to a delay in a processing time still has not even started.
What is going to happened when they start to process it they will ask me to submit my contract or automatically they will give her visitor status?
Or they will refuse her application and ask to apply again on to change her status from worker to visitor?

hoomanmogh

Jan 24, 2016
svo said:
Hi everyone,

I have such question I already applied for my PGWP and OWP for my spouse together just for about a month ago. And at that moment I did not submit any proof that Im working on full on a position from NOC A,B, or 0.
My file due to a delay in a processing time still has not even started.
What is going to happened when they start to process it they will ask me to submit my contract or automatically they will give her visitor status?
Or they will refuse her application and ask to apply again on to change her status from worker to visitor?
What happened to your application? I'm going to apply together PGWP and OWP for my spouse.