+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Minors - Do parents have to fill out IMM 5476?

MastaRafa

Feb 19, 2017
Hello,

I was searching the forum for answers but I was not able to find anything related.

My girlfriend and I filled out the "Application for a citizenship certificate (adults and minors)" for our 6 months old daughter. Since my girlfriend is a Canadian citizen, she is applying on behalft of our minor child.

Do we still need to fill out the "Use of a representitive (IMM 5476)" form and name the mother as a representitive? Aren't parents of minors (especially under 14 years) automatically their legal representatives?

Unfortunatelly, we were not able to find very specific information about it on the website of the "Government of Canada", but on their website they mention uncompensated represantitives which includes family members.

Thank you.

Best regards!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello,

I was searching the forum for answers but I was not able to find anything related.

My girlfriend and I filled out the "Application for a citizenship certificate (adults and minors)" for our 6 months old daughter. Since my girlfriend is a Canadian citizen, she is applying on behalft of our minor child.

Do we still need to fill out the "Use of a representitive (IMM 5476)" form and name the mother as a representitive? Aren't parents of minors (especially under 14 years) automatically their legal representatives?

Unfortunatelly, we were not able to find very specific information about it on the website of the "Government of Canada", but on their website they mention uncompensated represantitives which includes family members.

Thank you.

Best regards!
1. No the 5476 is not required.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hello,

Thank you.

Best regards!
There is indeed not much to be found about this, but http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=906&top=5 says nothing about submitting the representative form, so I expect that you should not complete IMM 5476. Your girlfriend is, after all, signing the application as the child's guardian and not as a representative, who aren't allowed to sign the application itself on someone else's behalf.

Somewhat unrelated: it may be worthwhile to include letters by both of you consenting to the application, just so that it's on record both parents consent (cf. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/decisions/parental-consent.html).

Mr. Woods

Feb 16, 2022
Hi

1. No the 5476 is not required.
MastaRafa, so did you fill out the form Imm5476 or no,
I also have same question as you. A one year old kid as an applicant and me the biological father as a representative.
In section 13 of CIT 0001 , Did you check YES or NO?
Thanks for your response.

uclohani

Mar 23, 2023
I want to apply for reconsideration of VISA application of my minor child. Do I need to fill the representative form IMM5476 or IMM5475?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Representatives are paid professionals who take care of an application on your behalf, like immigration lawyers.
Parents don't need to fill these for their kids.

uclohani

Mar 23, 2023
Representatives are paid professionals who take care of an application on your behalf, like immigration lawyers.
Parents don't need to fill these for their kids.
Thank you, in that case do I need fill any authorization form, if so which one? Actually, I applied for VISA for whole family. Me, my wife and younger son got the VISA but elder son's visa got refused. Now for reconsideration, when I am using webform, as an Enquirer, I have to chose one option out of Applicant, Representative and Sponsor. If I choose representative, what form I have to upload?

May 2, 2013
Thank you, in that case do I need fill any authorization form, if so which one? Actually, I applied for VISA for whole family. Me, my wife and younger son got the VISA but elder son's visa got refused. Now for reconsideration, when I am using webform, as an Enquirer, I have to chose one option out of Applicant, Representative and Sponsor. If I choose representative, what form I have to upload?
Hello, then how did u go with this? I have the same situation as you. When i had selected representative & put my info in enquirier fields, they emailed me that you need to fill use of a rep. But this is wrong because i signed all the docs of my minor child, I certainly don’t need to fill use of representative. Please advise the soonest what you filled out in enquirer fields?

EMRH

Mar 17, 2024
Gracias, en ese caso necesito completar algún formulario de autorización, de ser así, ¿cuál? De hecho, solicité VISA para toda la familia. Yo, mi esposa y mi hijo menor obtuvimos la VISA pero la visa del hijo mayor fue rechazada. Ahora, para reconsiderarlo, cuando uso el formulario web, como solicitante, tengo que elegir una opción entre Solicitante, Representante y Patrocinador. Si elijo representante, ¿qué formulario tengo que subir?
[/CITA]
PAGr qué te rechazaron la visa de tu hijo mayor ? Y también tengo la misma duda tengo que poner carta de representante para mi hijo menor ????

EMRH

Mar 17, 2024
Ayudenme por favor !!! Tengo que llenar el formulario de representante para mi hijo menor ???? Es que si le digo que si que hace llenar para todos los integrantes de mi familia por que estoy haciendo el llenado de solicitudes en grupo ! Y ahorita leyendo comentarios vi que rechazaron visa de hijo mayor de edad ???? Por qué sería ????