+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Grad School in November 2018 as an International Student

Mar 2, 2017
Hey everybody,

I'm applying for grad school at SFU in November of 2018. I just had a question regarding the proof of financial support. I plan to apply for student loans here in the US that will cover the cost of tuition in BC. I also am going to apply for whatever scholarships I can as well as work part-time once I start school. My dad may also be helping me out with living expenses if need be. As long as I provide enough documentation, will this be enough financial support? I don't want to give them any reason to not deny me. I will be living with my boyfriend and his family while I'm in grad school.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey everybody,

I'm applying for grad school at SFU in November of 2018. I just had a question regarding the proof of financial support. I plan to apply for student loans here in the US that will cover the cost of tuition in BC. I also am going to apply for whatever scholarships I can as well as work part-time once I start school. My dad may also be helping me out with living expenses if need be. As long as I provide enough documentation, will this be enough financial support? I don't want to give them any reason to not deny me. I will be living with my boyfriend and his family while I'm in grad school.
When you apply, you must show you have enough funds available to cover your first year tuition + $10K in living expenses. So if your first year tuition is $15K - then your bank balance must be at least $25K for the study permit to be approved. You can show this by providing your own bank account with the required balance - or a combination of your bank account and your father's bank account. You can also provide proof you have a scholarship from your school.

The fact you will be living with your boyfriend and working part-time isn't considered. You must show you have the required funds available.

Reactions: Timothydenomie
Mar 2, 2017
When you apply, you must show you have enough funds available to cover your first year tuition + $10K in living expenses. So if your first year tuition is $15K - then your bank balance must be at least $25K for the study permit to be approved. You can show this by providing your own bank account with the required balance - or a combination of your bank account and your father's bank account. You can also provide proof you have a scholarship from your school.

The fact you will be living with your boyfriend and working part-time isn't considered. You must show you have the required funds available.
I appreciate you replying. So all those funds have to be available at one time? What if student loans are apart of the equation to cover the cost of tuition?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I appreciate you replying. So all those funds have to be available at one time? What if student loans are apart of the equation to cover the cost of tuition?
All of the funds have to be available at the time you apply for the study permit. So if you are going to get a loan, that loan needs to be secured and the funds available in your account before you apply for the study permit.

Mar 2, 2017
All of the funds have to be available at the time you apply for the study permit. So if you are going to get a loan, that loan needs to be secured and the funds available in your account before you apply for the study permit.
Okay, that makes sense. My only concern is that if I take out all of these loans before I get approved and then for whatever reason I get denied, I have all of this loan money that I'll have to pay back.

Mar 2, 2017
I noticed on the CIC website it states that a letter from the bank that is giving out the loan is sufficient. I would imagine that those funds wouldn't actually be in my bank account but would be transferred from the bank to the college. Would that still work? That way I would only have to provide proof of funds for living expenses?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I noticed on the CIC website it states that a letter from the bank that is giving out the loan is sufficient. I would imagine that those funds wouldn't actually be in my bank account but would be transferred from the bank to the college. Would that still work? That way I would only have to provide proof of funds for living expenses?
Yes - that's OK too. As long as the loan is secured before you apply.

Mar 2, 2017
Yes - that's OK too. As long as the loan is secured before you apply.
One final question, I apologize. Would it make more sense to get a student loan that would cover the cost of tuition on top of living expenses versus showing a bank statement for 10K dollars? My only concern with using my dad's bank statements is that he would have to have a large sum of money sitting in his account.