+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for fresh Canadian passport due to name change

rajdevil3

Feb 22, 2015
Hello,
I'm planning to get my Provincial name change done on my Canadian Passport because of Given name blank and Surname having my Full name. I'm doing this because of OCI application. They don't accept Given name blank. I got confirmation from OCI team suggesting to update my Canadian passport.

In the application one of the document proof is Citizenship certificate. Do I need to request a change in name under Citizenship certificate? If not, what documents will I have to provide in order to apply for my Canadian passport?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,
I'm planning to get my Provincial name change done on my Canadian Passport because of Given name blank and Surname having my Full name. I'm doing this because of OCI application. They don't accept Given name blank. I got confirmation from OCI team suggesting to update my Canadian passport.

In the application one of the document proof is Citizenship certificate. Do I need to request a change in name under Citizenship certificate? If not, what documents will I have to provide in order to apply for my Canadian passport?
Do NOT change name in citizenship certificate until after you get updated passport.

You use the current citizenship certificate to show citizenship, change of name legal docs to show new name when applying for passport. That should be sufficient on that end, plus whatever other docs they may require. (I think they want some other doc or id like drivers license and etc, get that in new name). Note that for almost everything else, you take your existing [whatever like driver's license, health card, etc] and show them the legal change of name doc from the province. That's it (although of course some will want to see picture id just to confirm you-are-you).

Later you can update citizenship certificate or not, up to you. Once you have passport almost no one will ever ask to see the citcert, and of they do - old name plus change of name doc will suffice.

Last edited:
Reactions: rajdevil3

rajdevil3

Feb 22, 2015
Do NOT change name in citizenship certificate until after you get updated passport.

You use the current citizenship certificate to show citizenship, change of name legal docs to show new name when applying for passport. That should be sufficient on that end, plus whatever other docs they may require. (I think they want some other doc or id like drivers license and etc, get that in new name). Note that for almost everything else, you take your existing [whatever like driver's license, health card, etc] and show them the legal change of name doc from the province. That's it (although of course some will want to see picture id just to confirm you-are-you).

Later you can update citizenship certificate or not, up to you. Once you have passport almost no one will ever ask to see the citcert, and of they do - old name plus change of name doc will suffice.
Thank you very much for taking the time out and answering my question.

Reactions: armoured

rajdevil3

Feb 22, 2015

@armoured - While applying for Canadian name change certificate one of the document that they ask for is the India birth certificate. But I don't have one. Would you happen to know what can I do in such a case? Thank you.