+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for family class visa (PR) after receiving a TRV - possible or not?

wetjetter

Jan 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,

I'm hoping some of you experts can shed some light onto my case.

My boyfriend (non-Canadian) and I (Canadian citizen) are planning on visiting my family and friends in Canada December 2016. We have already visited once before. I have a two part question:

1. Do you know how far in advance we can apply for his TRV? If we want to visit in December 2016, would it be recommended to apply as soon as June 2016? I'd like to apply as early in advance as possible, so that we can book cheaper flights than we did last time.

2. In the late fall of this year, we plan on getting married. After getting married, I would like to sponsor him under the family class visa (PR) so that we can eventually move to Canada. If my boyfriend had already received a TRV in anticipation for our trip in December, would applying for sponsorship under the family class visa afterwards affect his TRV? Could the CIC cancel it after it had been issued?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts or shared experiences. :D

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Yes, you can.

No, a subsequent application for PR will not affect an already issued TRV.

Suggest you consider the expiry date in your boyfriend's passport, (and possibly renew it early). When we got a TRV for MIL, they granted it valid right up to date her passport expired. For us that was 18 months.

wetjetter

Jan 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your reply, truesmile. :D

It's a shame that when we applied and received his first TRV, his passport had just under a year left of validity. We'll now have to reapply for a new TRV under his new passport.