+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for FAM whilst both living abroad

Apr 12, 2010
Sheffield
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all on the forum!

I'm new to the visa process and have a few questions, which hopefully someone can answer...Firstly I am a Brit living with my Canadian partner in the UK (he's been here 3 years on an ancestry visa). We intend to move across the pond to Canada prob next Spring with him sponsoring me. I've started to put together the application, filled the forms etc but am worried about a few things...

Firstly, he is obv not living in Canada atm, but I was under the impression he could still sponsor me so long as he can prove he will be returning to Canada to sponsor me? Is this def true and what proof are they looking for?

Secondly, the medical...it seems daft that it is only valid for a year considering the visa can take so long but there's another story! If I get the medical and cannot 'land' within the year, do I need to submit the entire application again or just re-do the medical?

Just as soon as I think I understand something, I get conflicting advice from somewhere else and it's back to square 1! I thought we were quite a standard case, but I'm beginning to realise there's no such thing!

Thanks guys :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Confused Jools said:
Hi all on the forum!

I'm new to the visa process and have a few questions, which hopefully someone can answer...Firstly I am a Brit living with my Canadian partner in the UK (he's been here 3 years on an ancestry visa). We intend to move across the pond to Canada prob next Spring with him sponsoring me. I've started to put together the application, filled the forms etc but am worried about a few things...

Firstly, he is obv not living in Canada atm, but I was under the impression he could still sponsor me so long as he can prove he will be returning to Canada to sponsor me? Is this def true and what proof are they looking for?

Secondly, the medical...it seems daft that it is only valid for a year considering the visa can take so long but there's another story! If I get the medical and cannot 'land' within the year, do I need to submit the entire application again or just re-do the medical?

Just as soon as I think I understand something, I get conflicting advice from somewhere else and it's back to square 1! I thought we were quite a standard case, but I'm beginning to realise there's no such thing!

Thanks guys :)
1. If your spouse/c/law partner is a citizen,then s/he can sponsor while living abroad.
2. Since most spousal applications are completed in less than a year, it really isn't daft.
3. It is a case of your visa is issued, you don't use it, you start again.
4. He needs a statement what his plans are when you are issued a visa, for housing, schooling, work.

FStone

Jan 20, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,

I am a Canadian living with my British husband in the UK! We started our file in January, you can see our timeline below. We filed outland via London, and I was in the UK when we applied and I still am in the UK. Basically, I sent off job posts I am qualified for (I am a nurse) in the area we want to live in. I also sent off flats we could afford, and I outlined a budget based on what my wage would be and hopefully hubby's as well. We also sent off job websites hubby is registered with. We sent off letters from family who know we are coming home, saying that we can stay with them until we find a flat, etc....We also have friends who are letting us stay with them in Calgary while we look for a flat as that is where we are moving to, and they wrote a letter for us.
I was terrified that it wouldn't be enough but my sponsorship was approved. We are just waiting for hubby's passport request now!

We did the medical before we sent off the application, as London seems to be very quick processing their PRs! I would recommend this if you want the application to go quickly! Good luck!