+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for extension questions

Bacrs

Star Member
Oct 19, 2018
Hello, I have a few doubts about extension aswell as sponsorship that I cant seem to clarify. I'm currently residing in Canada under a TRV, which entry expires in about 7 weeks. I recently got married here in Canada to my canadian fiance. It was kinda late as you see and is gonna take even longer to get the marriage certificate needed for sponsor.

So, I need to apply for an extension. I have a few questions about it.

Once I apply for the extension, should we wait till I get the answer to start the residency/sponsor process? Or can I do both once I receive our marriage certificate , tho I guess is better to wait.

What should I pick when asked how long i plan to stay? I can't pick permanently for visitor extension I know, but should I put less than 6 months or more than 6 months, would that affect anything?

Another thing is when doing the checklist for extension , it asked me if I would be interested in doing certain jobs (which was weird but I guess its cause I picked the married option) and it gave me a list of them, for which I would have to do a medical exam, if I said yes. I'm not sure what to pick here, because once we're applying for sponsorship , I understand I can ask for an open work permit at the same time, and I guess I'd have to provide a medical exam at this point anyway?

And last, tho I've read people get married on visitor visa and then apply for sponsorship, I'm not sure how viable it is? We would just very much not want to do outland process as distance is rough on us

Thank you so much for any clarification on this, sorry for any mistakes

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
1. You should start the sponsorship process immediately, as soon as you get the marriage certificate. Then apply for an extension after you have submitted. When you apply for the extension, tell them that you have already begun the sponsorship process. Ask for a year long extension.

2. Just say no to the jobs question.

3. It's perfectly viable to get married on a TRV and apply for sponsorship. As long as the marriage is genuine, and the spouse is an eligible sponsor, there are no issues.

Bacrs

Star Member
Oct 19, 2018
Thanks for replying, the problem is my status in Canada expires on September 29, and I'm told the certificate can take a while to come, so by the time we get it i won't have the one month needed to apply for extension that's my concern

Edit: can they extend a visitor record up to a year? I thought they only do 6 months extension at a time that's why people ask for work permit with the PR, I'm more confused now haha

Last edited:

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
If the certificate hasn't come by Sep 29, apply on Sep 29 without it. When you apply, tell them that you got married and are waiting for the certificate.

What does the visitor record have to do with a work permit? You can't work on a visitor record. And yes, they can give you a visitor record for a year.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for replying, the problem is my status in Canada expires on September 29, and I'm told the certificate can take a while to come, so by the time we get it i won't have the one month needed to apply for extension that's my concern

Edit: can they extend a visitor record up to a year? I thought they only do 6 months extension at a time that's why people ask for work permit with the PR, I'm more confused now haha
You don't need one month to apply for an extension. Apply a few days before your status expires. Pay the full PR fees and include the receipt in the extension app.

If you are applying inland with an OWP, there is no need to ask for a one year Visitor Record.

Akki9172

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
You don't need one month to apply for an extension. Apply a few days before your status expires. Pay the full PR fees and include the receipt in the extension app.

If you are applying inland with an OWP, there is no need to ask for a one year Visitor Record.
Hello

I have a question regarding the timeline for visitor visa extension. I have applied for my mother's visitor visa extension online in August 13th 2019? What is the normal processing time? Till when I can expect a decision on visitor visa extension?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

jlizzy

Aug 20, 2020

I know this is an older post, just wondering how your extension went. I am in a similar situation and your response would greatly help.

Bacrs

Star Member
Oct 19, 2018
I know this is an older post, just wondering how your extension went. I am in a similar situation and your response would greatly help.
Hello, I did end up applying a month before my status expired , just to be sure. I requested 12 months explaining my intentions and it was granted, I attached to my cover letter our marriage statement and the receipt for the marriage certificate. We did not however started the sponsorship at that time, I was a bit paranoid so we waited for the extension to be approved to start the process.

Due covid delays I have still not got AOR, so I recently requested another 12 months. This time I gave them our sponsorship application fee receipt and marriage certificate.

I'm not sure why at that time they did not request me for a medical exam since I requested a 12 month extension, but I'm fairly sure this time they will ask for that. So have that in mind if you go for 12 months.

Best of luck

jlizzy

Aug 20, 2020
Hello, I did end up applying a month before my status expired , just to be sure. I requested 12 months explaining my intentions and it was granted, I attached to my cover letter our marriage statement and the receipt for the marriage certificate. We did not however started the sponsorship at that time, I was a bit paranoid so we waited for the extension to be approved to start the process.

Due covid delays I have still not got AOR, so I recently requested another 12 months. This time I gave them our sponsorship application fee receipt and marriage certificate.

I'm not sure why at that time they did not request me for a medical exam since I requested a 12 month extension, but I'm fairly sure this time they will ask for that. So have that in mind if you go for 12 months.

Best of luck
Thank you for the reply, you’ve been a great help. one more question if you dont mind me asking, did you include photos as well for proof of relationship?

Bacrs

Star Member
Oct 19, 2018
Thank you for the reply, you’ve been a great help. one more question if you dont mind me asking, did you include photos as well for proof of relationship?
No, I figured proof of marriage and fee receipts was good enough for an extension. If you want to add photos it wouldn't hurt but I don't think is necessary