+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for extension of Spousal Open work permit extension when wife has left

jijuanair

Star Member
Dec 20, 2011
Hello,

I have recently recieved a positive LMO and is about to apply for a closed work permit.I was on a PG Work permit.

My wife holds a Spousal Open work permit.She was with me for 4 months in Canada.She left for India for an emergency.I got a positive LMO and need to extend my PG work permit to Closed Work permit.

I was told by a lawyer that,even if she is not in Canada i can still apply to extend her visa before it expires in Feb 13,2013(Thats when mine also expires).

I had called cic regarding a different matter and they informed me that i cannot apply for her visa extension along with mine as she is not in Canada.
I dont know who is saying the truth.Can some one advise on this please.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jijuanair said:
Hello,

I have recently recieved a positive LMO and is about to apply for a closed work permit.I was on a PG Work permit.

My wife holds a Spousal Open work permit.She was with me for 4 months in Canada.She left for India for an emergency.I got a positive LMO and need to extend my PG work permit to Closed Work permit.

I was told by a lawyer that,even if she is not in Canada i can still apply to extend her visa before it expires in Feb 13,2013(Thats when mine also expires).

I had called cic regarding a different matter and they informed me that i cannot apply for her visa extension along with mine as she is not in Canada.
I dont know who is saying the truth.Can some one advise on this please.
Go with what CIC told you. She has to apply and she is not in Canada to apply for a spousal work permit extension.

rundung

Dec 4, 2012
If I were in your shoes I would get her back in Canada before applying for the extension.

It seems that you are less likely to be refused anything (within reason) once you are in the country. And an extension of stay or change of condition can be applied for online.