+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Express Entry from Quebec

rexstefan

Feb 13, 2018
Hi everybody,

I have a query for which I have got mixed responses and still not quite sure about the process. Could you please help me with this.

I came to Montreal in 2015 to do my Masters in Mcgill. I have completed my degree last year and currently working for a company for almost 6 months. As I am looking forward to move to Toronto in 5-6 months, I am not clear whether I can start my express entry process by residing in Montreal. Could someone please guide me whether I can apply for express entry from Quebec or do I need to move to Toronto in order to start the process. As I don't speak french and for CSQ process going to take almost a year, I decide to go for express entry process. Thank you so much in advance.

Regards,
Rex

vladmirgc

Apr 10, 2014
How are you going to demonstrate that you will leave the province upon receiving permanent residency?
That sounds very risky.

romrumrira

Champion Member
Jan 9, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Hi everybody,

I have a query for which I have got mixed responses and still not quite sure about the process. Could you please help me with this.

I came to Montreal in 2015 to do my Masters in Mcgill. I have completed my degree last year and currently working for a company for almost 6 months. As I am looking forward to move to Toronto in 5-6 months, I am not clear whether I can start my express entry process by residing in Montreal. Could someone please guide me whether I can apply for express entry from Quebec or do I need to move to Toronto in order to start the process. As I don't speak french and for CSQ process going to take almost a year, I decide to go for express entry process. Thank you so much in advance.

Regards,
Rex
You need to move out of the province first. EE is not for Quebec.

rexstefan

Feb 13, 2018
Thank you so much for your responses. Only after I move to Toronto, I can apply. In that case, is there any criteria that I have to stay for few months or a year to be eligilble for EE or I can apply right after I reach? Looking forward for your valuable suggestions. Thanks a lot

Regards,
Rex

MuggleOnline

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
Hi everybody,

Regards,
Rex
Hi Rex,
In theory, yes you can apply. What you will have to do, however, is provide very convincing evidence to immigration officer that you do intend to leave Quebec. This is very difficult to do if you have a job that is not contract based. It will be safer to first move and then apply, but you can apply if you can demonstrate to the CIC officer, very convincingly, that you do not have or have ever had any intent to live in Quebec permanently. It is possible, there are people on the forum (myself included) who have done it, but it will be a lot easier for you if you move first. Even if you do move, they will probably still ask for intent that you intend to remain outside of Quebec as you have ties to the province (you have worked and studied there). I hope that helps!

vladmirgc

Apr 10, 2014
I know how you must be felling. I went through a similar decision. Let me tell you, it is so unfair.
If those scumbags from CIC really want us to have a job and move out of Quebec so bad, they should offer us a position in their office then. It is easy to be bossy, when it is other people's money on the line.
And they clearly do not have a problem with criminals crossing the border daily, and claiming to be refugees. But if you dare to follow the rules, you are bound to humiliated.

Rina9285

Star Member
Apr 10, 2013
Hi Rexstefan,

So what did you finally do? moved out of Quebec and applied or provided a valid reason to move out?

I would really appreciate your help in this matter. Thank you.

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I always suggest move out then apply. Why risk it? Ask yourself what's more important, current job or PR.

rajahoomi

May 20, 2018
Hi,

I am in a similar situation. I have received my Master from Carleton in Ottawa and came in Montreal for work in 2016. I have my uncle in Ottawa and I would like to go back to Ottawa if there is a good job opportunity! I have received invitation to apply from CIC through EE as I am waiting for my CSQ to arrive! My work permit expires in 2019 and I am getting worried for my situation already as I know even if I receive the CSQ soon (have been waiting for more than a year now) it will take another 1.5-2 yrs to become a PR.
If I move my principal residency to Ontario and work in MTL would be a possibility? On of my previous colleges at work did exactly this. His principal residency is in Ontario but he works here (I guess he files his taxes in Ontario also).

Do you have any suggestions?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I am in a similar situation. I have received my Master from Carleton in Ottawa and came in Montreal for work in 2016. I have my uncle in Ottawa and I would like to go back to Ottawa if there is a good job opportunity! I have received invitation to apply from CIC through EE as I am waiting for my CSQ to arrive! My work permit expires in 2019 and I am getting worried for my situation already as I know even if I receive the CSQ soon (have been waiting for more than a year now) it will take another 1.5-2 yrs to become a PR.
If I move my principal residency to Ontario and work in MTL would be a possibility? On of my previous colleges at work did exactly this. His principal residency is in Ontario but he works here (I guess he files his taxes in Ontario also).

Do you have any suggestions?
Yes, there are applicants in this forum who moved to Ottawa and continued working in Gatineau, apparently they did not have issues applying for PR via EE. I cannot make any guarantees though.