+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for express entry a masters graduate in Canada with foreign work experience

e.john

Jan 11, 2020
NOC Code......
Hey all,

I recently completed an engineering research masters (2 years) from a Canadian University in Ontario and have obtained a work permit of 3 years. I also hold a non-Canadian bachelor's in engineering and have 1 year of foreign work experience from the UAE.

I want to apply for permanent residency and would like to know if I qualify for Express Entry or any other immigration route. I tried setting up a profile on CIC but I received a message saying I am ineligible with multiple reasons as to why I may not qualify which was not helpful.

Could anyone please suggest how I should proceed?

Thanks,
Eric

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Technically you could qualify for EE with 1 year of work experience and a master degree. There could be a number of reasons why you were deemed ineligible.
What's your score under the six selection factors? Was your 1 year foreign work experience continuous without gap? Was it a skilled level 0/A/B Job? What's you IELTS score? Do you have enough funds in the bank?

Give more details if you want people to help you pinpoint the problem, or read the minimum requirements here yourself
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html

Last edited:

e.john

Jan 11, 2020
NOC Code......
Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Here is a description of my profile:
1. Age - 25
2. Education - BEng (4 years) and MEng (2 years) in Electrical Engineering
3. Work experience - 1 year continuous work in UAE (Level A). I also have TA work of 1 year in Canada (Level A)
4. No job offer yet (still looking) - Could this be the reason?
5. IELTS - Listening 8.5, Reading 8.5, Writing 7.0, Speaking 8.0 and Overall 8.0
6. Adaptability (Not sure what they are looking for here). I have relatives here for support and want to reside in Ontario.
7. I also proved sufficient funds of $20,000 and I have no dependencies

Regards,
Eric

MelanieL

Star Member
Sep 12, 2019
Hmm it looks like you may be eligible for the FSW-inland stream but you didn't give any details about why it initially said you aren't eligible so perhaps there is something else. You should check your CRS points and if you get above 470ish you can try

e.john

Jan 11, 2020
NOC Code......
The message I received from CIC is given below:

Your Express Entry profile has been reviewed and we have determined that you are not eligible for Express Entry at this time.

To qualify for Express Entry, you must meet the minimum eligibility criteria for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, and/or the Federal Skilled Trades Program and/or the Canadian Experience Class. Based on the information you gave in your profile, you do not appear to meet the minimum eligibility criteria for any of these programs at the moment.

Below are a few examples of why a candidate will be found ineligible:
• not having a valid language test,
• language test results that are more than two years old,
• a language test score that is too low,
• not having enough relevant work experience,
• not having the required education level,
• not having enough funds.

If you still want to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant, you can take steps to improve your qualifications and register for Express Entry at a later date. For example, you may try to improve your language score or gain a higher level of education.

When I checked the CRS points I scored 483.

sphng

Star Member
Jun 5, 2019
The message I received from CIC is given below:

Your Express Entry profile has been reviewed and we have determined that you are not eligible for Express Entry at this time.

To qualify for Express Entry, you must meet the minimum eligibility criteria for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, and/or the Federal Skilled Trades Program and/or the Canadian Experience Class. Based on the information you gave in your profile, you do not appear to meet the minimum eligibility criteria for any of these programs at the moment.

Below are a few examples of why a candidate will be found ineligible:
• not having a valid language test,
• language test results that are more than two years old,
• a language test score that is too low,
• not having enough relevant work experience,
• not having the required education level,
• not having enough funds.

If you still want to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant, you can take steps to improve your qualifications and register for Express Entry at a later date. For example, you may try to improve your language score or gain a higher level of education.

When I checked the CRS points I scored 483.
  1. Did you take the General IELTS? What is the date on the report?
  2. What are the dates you worked during your year in the UAE?

e.john

Jan 11, 2020
NOC Code......
1. I took General IELTS. It shows 18th August 2019 on the report.
2. From May 2016 to July 2017

harsimranjot

Star Member
Dec 1, 2019
LUDHIANA PUNJAB
Category........
Visa Office......
chandigarh
Instead of checking your CRS, you should first calculate the eligibility points and you must be able to score 67 points in that out of 100. Otherwise you are not eligible for express entry

e.john

Jan 11, 2020
NOC Code......
I did the eligibility test. it does not give points but it states whether you are eligible to apply for express entry and it said that I qualify. I want to try submitting another express entry application again. Do you'll think it is safe to do so because I don't want to receive a reply that I am ineligible again as I am uncertain whether that will reduce my chance of getting PR.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
I did the eligibility test. it does not give points but it states whether you are eligible to apply for express entry and it said that I qualify. I want to try submitting another express entry application again. Do you'll think it is safe to do so because I don't want to receive a reply that I am ineligible again as I am uncertain whether that will reduce my chance of getting PR.
Refer to the link I provided in the second post. Read the section about "Selection factor point grid" and calculate your score.

e.john

Jan 11, 2020
NOC Code......
Refer to the link I provided in the second post. Read the section about "Selection factor point grid" and calculate your score.
I calculated my points and here's the breakdown:
1. Language - 24 points
2. Education - 23 points for a Master's degree
[ I think my issue is that I added both bachelors and masters with the bachelor not having an ECA - Do you think I should only add my master's since its Canadian? ]
3. Work - 9 points for UAE experience
4. Age - 12 points
5. Arranged employment - 0 points
6. Adaptability - 5 points for relatives (uncle/aunt)

Total points = 73

sphng

Star Member
Jun 5, 2019
I calculated my points and here's the breakdown:
1. Language - 24 points
2. Education - 23 points for a Master's degree
[ I think my issue is that I added both bachelors and masters with the bachelor not having an ECA - Do you think I should only add my master's since its Canadian? ]
3. Work - 9 points for UAE experience
4. Age - 12 points
5. Arranged employment - 0 points
6. Adaptability - 5 points for relatives (uncle/aunt)

Total points = 73
That might be why it told you you were not eligible because you need ECAs for all non-Canadian degrees. Since you have a master's, I don't think you even need to include your bachelor's.

e.john

Jan 11, 2020
NOC Code......
Alright, I will remove my bachelor's and try submitting my express entry application.

But before I proceed what will I enter for the Work experience section as it's based on my NOC for the primary occupation and the day you become qualified. Please see below what CIC is requesting:

Primary occupation (4 digit NOC Code) (required)

This means the job Eric John has experience in and wants to base the immigration application on. This is how we will determine your eligibility for federal programs. You will need to know the job title and the NOC for the primary occupation and for any other jobs you add, as well as for any job offer.

2133 - Electrical and Electronics Engineering

Date Eric John first became qualified to practice in this occupation

If the "primary occupation" is:
  • a qualified trade (four-digit code begins with 632, 633, 72, 73, 82, 92), this is the date they became qualified to practice on their own in Canada. (For example, when they moved from apprentice to being a licensed tradesperson.)
  • any other job, this is the date they first obtained the minimum education or training stated in the NOC description. (Note: if the NOC only states high school, this is the date they graduated.)
They want the month and year. So will this be the date I graduated from my bachelor's or my masters?

sphng

Star Member
Jun 5, 2019
Alright, I will remove my bachelor's and try submitting my express entry application.

But before I proceed what will I enter for the Work experience section as it's based on my NOC for the primary occupation and the day you become qualified. Please see below what CIC is requesting:

Primary occupation (4 digit NOC Code) (required)

This means the job Eric John has experience in and wants to base the immigration application on. This is how we will determine your eligibility for federal programs. You will need to know the job title and the NOC for the primary occupation and for any other jobs you add, as well as for any job offer.

2133 - Electrical and Electronics Engineering

Date Eric John first became qualified to practice in this occupation

If the "primary occupation" is:
  • a qualified trade (four-digit code begins with 632, 633, 72, 73, 82, 92), this is the date they became qualified to practice on their own in Canada. (For example, when they moved from apprentice to being a licensed tradesperson.)
  • any other job, this is the date they first obtained the minimum education or training stated in the NOC description. (Note: if the NOC only states high school, this is the date they graduated.)
They want the month and year. So will this be the date I graduated from my bachelor's or my masters?
If your NOC requires a master's, it will be the date you graduated from your master's. Otherwise, it will be the date you graduated from your bachelor's.

e.john

Jan 11, 2020
NOC Code......
I submitted my application and it got accepted in the Express Entry pool. They gave me a CRS score of 454 but the CRS calculator showed me that I got 497.
Now I just need to wait and see if I get an invitation. Fingers crossed.

Thanks, everyone for their valuable help. Much appreciated.