+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for employment insurance while my application for permanent residency is pending

SSR88

Star Member
Apr 26, 2021
Hi guys,

I received my ITA in August, 2023 and applied for residency under the Canadian experience class.

I now wish to apply for Employment insurance. Does this affect my permanent residency application?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Hi guys,

I received my ITA in August, 2023 and applied for residency under the Canadian experience class.

I now wish to apply for Employment insurance. Does this affect my permanent residency application?
You are entitled to EI once you have contributed to it. So it does not affect your PR application. However, proof of funds/sustainability is still needed and you can not declare EI as income.

SSR88

Star Member
Apr 26, 2021
Hi yes, for proof of funds, when I submitted my application for permanent residency. I have completed 12 months of work experience and applied under the Canadian experience class. I have already submitted my application and it is pending at IRCC's end for approval of documents.

Do I yet need to show proof of funds?

I have now lost my job and need to apply for EI.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Hi yes, for proof of funds, when I submitted my application for permanent residency. I have completed 12 months of work experience and applied under the Canadian experience class. I have already submitted my application and it is pending at IRCC's end for approval of documents.

Do I yet need to show proof of funds?

I have now lost my job and need to apply for EI.
If there was no mention of providing proof of funds on your application checklist, then it is not needed.