+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for CSQ as UK/US dual national

ryan711

Feb 9, 2018
Hi all,

I'm having trouble understanding my options for immigration to Québec as a skilled worker, mainly because of what the CSQ asks and what I'm expected to then submit to the Canadian government for permanent residency.

I am a dual national of the United States and the United Kingdom, wanting to immigrate as a Briton. However, my university degree, current employment and current residency are US-based.
I have met with an immigration lawyer, who said that there is no difference or advantage between the two and that immigration for permanent residency can be completed either by residency or by nationality.

However, for the English and French language exams, I'd have to use my UK passport if I intend to immigrate as a Briton. This makes sense in general, but for the CSQ I'm asked about residency (under the section "Pièces justificatives") and even instructed to provide a document if my nationality doesn't match my residency ("Statut de résident temporaire dans un pays autre que celui dans lequel vous êtes résident permanent ou citoyen")...but it does, because I'm a dual citizen of both of these countries.

I'm very confused about how to proceed. Does the CSQ require me to apply as an American since I'm currently a resident there? How will this affect my application for PR as a Briton once I obtain my CSQ as an American, in that case? Will they see from my other documents (e.g. birth certificate, former travel to Québec) that I'm a dual citizen?

I want my permanent residency to Canada to be documented as a British citizen, not an American citizen. I'm unhappy that my [expensive] consultations with the immigration lawyer have left me more confused, so any tips would help greatly.