+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying For COPR... how to successfully and receive PR card

canadacanada17

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
Hello,

I have a few questions, maybe some of you can shed some light :)

1.Do you need to have landed first, before you can apply for your PR Card or is your COPR enough to apply for it? Also, If you need to have landed first, do the immigration officers take the COPR paper from you?

I'm asking because I may need to go home before the Card arrives and they will not ship overseas?

2. I am about to send in the info in order to receive my COPR, it asks for a photocopy of passport ID page, and pages with amendments. By this, they just mean pages with stamps right and a copy of my current visa?

Thanks guys!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I have a few questions, maybe some of you can shed some light :)

1.Do you need to have landed first, before you can apply for your PR Card or is your COPR enough to apply for it? Also, If you need to have landed first, do the immigration officers take the COPR paper from you?

I'm asking because I may need to go home before the Card arrives and they will not ship overseas?

2. I am about to send in the info in order to receive my COPR, it asks for a photocopy of passport ID page, and pages with amendments. By this, they just mean pages with stamps right and a copy of my current visa?

Thanks guys!
Hi

1. You are not a PR until you actually land, so no, you can't apply for a PR card before you are actually a PR. There are 2 copies of the COPR; you will keep one. You can't travel to Canada with the COPR. Unless you are a US citizen, if your PR card hasn't arrived before you leave and there is no one to send it to you, you will need to apply for a PRTD to return.

2. Amendment pages are where your government has placed any official notes about your passport, like extending the validity or a name correction. You don't need to submit pages with visa stamps.

canadacanada17

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
Hi

1. You are not a PR until you actually land, so no, you can't apply for a PR card before you are actually a PR. There are 2 copies of the COPR; you will keep one. You can't travel to Canada with the COPR. Unless you are a US citizen, if your PR card hasn't arrived before you leave and there is no one to send it to you, you will need to apply for a PRTD to return.

2. Amendment pages are where your government has placed any official notes about your passport, like extending the validity or a name correction. You don't need to submit pages with visa stamps.

Thank you so so Much!!

Hope this helps others who have similar concerns!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi

Slight amendment - you can travel with a COPR - but only if you drive in yourself, so that restricts it to people who are in the US (or who can enter the US). You cannot use a commercial carrier (air, rail, bus, ship).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Slight amendment - you can travel with a COPR - but only if you drive in yourself, so that restricts it to people who are in the US (or who can enter the US). You cannot use a commercial carrier (air, rail, bus, ship).
And to correct that, a COPR is not required to travel to the Canada-US border, nor is it required to enter Canada at a land border. CBSA can determine a person's PR status from their passport.

Reactions: 21Goose

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
And to correct that, a COPR is not required to travel to the Canada-US border, nor is it required to enter Canada at a land border. CBSA can determine a person's PR status from their passport.
You don't need any proof of permanent residence? That's even better, I guess.

I'm looking here -> http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

I suppose the operative line is "Upon arrival at a Canadian port of entry, travellers must satisfy a CBSA border services officer (BSO) that they meet the requirements for entry into Canada"

Sounds like the CBSA officer has the discretion to admit you only on your passport. Still, I'd take along my COPR - no harm in helping the officer out, right?

canadacanada17

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
So am I correct in thinking that I don't need to do anything in order to receive the PR card once landed, I just wait for it to come or do I need to apply for it.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

So am I correct in thinking that I don't need to do anything in order to receive the PR card once landed, I just wait for it to come or do I need to apply for it.
1. PR card application is part of the "landing" processing and the CBSA does it.