+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying For Citizenship

Rabz_13

Feb 26, 2013
Hey Guys,

I will be eligible to apply for Canadian Citizenship soon, and I'm unsure of the time requirement based on the latest PR timeline changes - specifically the eligibility of some time where I did not have status in Canada.

I had a 15 month period (in the last 5 yrs preceding the application) between when my work permit expired, and when I received my PR - would these 15 months be considered for half day credit considering I had all sorts of Work Permit & PR applications in during that time frame ?

I was granted a 3 year post secondary work visa which was due to expire in September 2014. During my time with the company I applied for 3 different applications: to extend my work permit, bridge my work permit through the company via an LMIA, and for the Provincial Nomination Program (I applied for all 3 applications in January 2014). The work permit was rejected and the LMIA was denied in November 2014 and I had 90 days to restore my status in Canada. My employer was forced to terminate my contract. As a Syrian passport holder, a removal order was never issued and I was also unable to restore my status.

The Express Entry stream was introduced in 2015 and I was eligible to apply in March, which I did. I waited the 6 months period and never heard back on the status of my application. I hired an immigration consultant who recommended to apply for PR through the H&C stream. I applied in October 2015 and obtained my PR in February 16, 2016. I immediately cancelled all outstanding applications: Provincial Nomination Program and Express Entry.

My questions are :

1- Am I eligible to count that time period when I had no status when applying for Citizenship ?
2- Am I considered a protected person since a removal order was not issued ?
3- I was proactive in my approach and tried many avenues to obtain PR before my work visa expired. Does that play in my favor ?
4- If that time doesn't count, does the 90 day period where I was required to restore my status count?

Thanks for your time
Rabie

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
The easiest way for you to figure out when you'll be eligible to apply for citizenship is to use the physical presence calculator.

At first blush you appear to have had no status in Canada between Nov 2014 and Feb 2016 when you received your PR. If that is the case then none of that time would count toward your citizenship.