+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for citizenship with an expired pr card.

sunsheen

Aug 2, 2018
Hi all
I have decided to apply for canadian citizen.I am pr for last 5 years and have lived in canada for 56 months in last 5 years.My pr card has expired and i recently applied for new one.But current processsing time for pr card renewal is 110 days.
My question is can i apply for citisenship with expired pr card as all my documents are almost ready or should i wait for my new pr card and can apply only after that.

thanks .

tracey321

Star Member
Nov 19, 2017
you can apply for your citizenship but cant leave or you won't be allowed to re enter because your pr expired.

sunsheen

Aug 2, 2018
hi
thanks for your reply.As per my understanding i can get a travel document called PRTD if i want to travel abroad and come back to Canada.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
And any idea whether i can apply for us visitor visa when my pr card is expired.
You can try. However the PR card is one of the card they will want to see as it is the only official travel document. This would ensure that you can easily leave US back to Canada. Without this card, it would be harder to get US visa (not saying you won't get it, just harder to qualify) since you have no proof that you can leave US. Last thing they want is you enterng US and unable to fly back to Canada without a PR card. When my spouse went to apply for US visa, they specifically asked for her PR card at the US consulate interview. They were satisfied once they saw that. At the end of interview, my spouse was told that she will get visa and her passport in the mail.

Last edited:
Reactions: sunsheen

sunsheen

Aug 2, 2018
You can try. However the PR card is one of the card they will want to see as it is the only official travel document. This would ensure that you can easily leave US back to Canada. Without this card, it would be harder to get US visa (not saying you won't get it, just harder to qualify) since you have no proof that you can leave US. Last thing they want is you entering US and unable to fly back to Canada without a PR card. When my spouse went to applied for US visa, they specially asked for her PR card at the US consulate interview. They were satisfied once they saw that. At the end of interview, my spouse was told that she will get visa and her passport in the mail.
Thanks for all the info.I would rather go ahead with my citizenship application and appply for us visa later on once i have my pr card in hand.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Thanks for all the info.I would rather go ahead with my citizenship application and appply for us visa later on once i have my pr card in hand.
Would it be better for you to wait until you get Canadian citizenship first? You would be wasting money for a US Visa when you can enter US as a Canadian without any Visa required. My spouse's PR card will expire in a couple of weeks and we have no plans on renewing PR card since we have already submitted her citizenship application.

Last edited:

sunsheen

Aug 2, 2018
Hi screech339
Thanks for all the info.I have already applied for pr card renewal since I have yet to apply for my citizenship. And as per my knowledge citizenship application might take longer than a year and I just want my pr card handy in case I need to travel outside Canada.

I have a few questions though regarding my citizenship application.
1.in question 10a it asks about all my addresses inside and outside Canada in the last 5 years. I went to india 3 times of which 2 times I had a valid address in Canada while i was away.And for one time my lease expired and i went to india for a month and came back and looked for another apartment. The csr at cic asked me not mention any address in india so what do I mention during that one month period as I don't want to leave any gaps.
2.i have a Canadian degree so I guess I don't need any benchmark exams to prove my english skills. So would just a photocopy of my degree will do ?
3. Do I need to attach only the first and last page of my passport or all the pages with stamps.i have a expired passport as well. Do I need to attach that one as well and what abt my landing paper?
Thanks in advance

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Follow the application guide and checklist. It's simple and explains everything.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi screech339
Thanks for all the info.I have already applied for pr card renewal since I have yet to apply for my citizenship. And as per my knowledge citizenship application might take longer than a year and I just want my pr card handy in case I need to travel outside Canada.

I have a few questions though regarding my citizenship application.
1.in question 10a it asks about all my addresses inside and outside Canada in the last 5 years. I went to india 3 times of which 2 times I had a valid address in Canada while i was away.And for one time my lease expired and i went to india for a month and came back and looked for another apartment. The csr at cic asked me not mention any address in india so what do I mention during that one month period as I don't want to leave any gaps.
2.i have a Canadian degree so I guess I don't need any benchmark exams to prove my english skills. So would just a photocopy of my degree will do ?
3. Do I need to attach only the first and last page of my passport or all the pages with stamps.i have a expired passport as well. Do I need to attach that one as well and what abt my landing paper?
Thanks in advance
1. Don't expect the call centre to always give the right advice. How long did you go to india for? Would you say you were living there or just visiting? There is no hard rule and it's not just about length. If you were only visiting, you can say you were residing in Canada, but you would need an address and an expired lease doesn't work. If you have no Canadian address at all for a period, then the Indian address will have to do.

2. Yes, you just need a copy of the degree. If it is one of the well-known universities that's all you need. For smaller programs, a clarification that the language of instruction was English is helpful. But of course everyone knows that courses at University of Toronto or UBC or McGill are in English.

3. This is in fact answered in the application guide which you should read in its entirety
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step3

sunsheen

Aug 2, 2018
1. Don't expect the call centre to always give the right advice. How long did you go to india for? Would you say you were living there or just visiting? There is no hard rule and it's not just about length. If you were only visiting, you can say you were residing in Canada, but you would need an address and an expired lease doesn't work. If you have no Canadian address at all for a period, then the Indian address will have to do.

2. Yes, you just need a copy of the degree. If it is one of the well-known universities that's all you need. For smaller programs, a clarification that the language of instruction was English is helpful. But of course everyone knows that courses at University of Toronto or UBC or McGill are in English.

3. This is in fact answered in the application guide which you should read in its entirety
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step3
Thanks once again for all the info.During my expired lease i stayed in india for abt 40 days so i will put My india's address as I didn't have any address in Canada at that time.
I think most of my doubts are now clear unless something else pops up in my mind.
Thanks you.

sunsheen

Aug 2, 2018
Hi everyone
So when i decided to fill my address
From india in 10.a for form cit0002 I noticed that I have tick yes in question 9c.
But when i tick yes in 9c. It is asking me to fill cit0177 form which is not even relevant to me.So I am again confused whether to type my Indian address or not.
Please help