+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for citizenship while abroad doing a masters

PrincessLuna

Jan 3, 2013
Hi,

I finished my undergraduate studies in Canada and I am now in Switzerland as I got a great oportunity at a good graduate school. I meet the requirements for applying for citizenship having been in Canada consecutively for about 4 years now.

Can I apply for citizenship from here? I am ready to fly back for the test and ceremony if needed. Or should I wait for 2 years and apply when I am done with my masters program.

I fully intend to come back to Canada when I am done with the masters.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Hi,

I finished my undergraduate studies in Canada and I am now in Switzerland as I got a great oportunity at a good graduate school. I meet the requirements for applying for citizenship having been in Canada consecutively for about 4 years now.

Can I apply for citizenship from here? I am ready to fly back for the test and ceremony if needed. Or should I wait for 2 years and apply when I am done with my masters program.

Some people already did the same, applied from outside Canada and finished test/oath, there is a thread in this forum. Chances are you may even finish the whole process in much short amount of time than people who stay here the whole time

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
Hi,

Hi,
yes, it is allowed to apply from abroad.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/application-from-outside-canada-near-the-end-of-my-process.584648/

Last edited: