+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Citizenship in Married Name?

bucajack

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
Hi,

My wife has not legally changed her name either here in Canada or in Ireland where we are from. Her PR document, PR card, Irish Passport and IDs are in her maiden name. Are we able to apply for her citizenship and have it granted in her married name if we provide the marriage certificate?

We'd like to avoid having to apply for a new citizenship cert. afterwards in her new name because it can take up to 5 months. If you are a dual citizen you must have a Canadian Passport to travel to Canada and she wanted to get her first Canadian Passport in her married name.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi,

My wife has not legally changed her name either here in Canada or in Ireland where we are from. Her PR document, PR card, Irish Passport and IDs are in her maiden name. Are we able to apply for her citizenship and have it granted in her married name if we provide the marriage certificate?

We'd like to avoid having to apply for a new citizenship cert. afterwards in her new name because it can take up to 5 months. If you are a dual citizen you must have a Canadian Passport to travel to Canada and she wanted to get her first Canadian Passport in her married name.
1. According to the application instructions, you have to include a copy of the marriage certificate if you only want a surname change.http://tinyurl.com/ydeuv2oh

Eìre 18

Apr 4, 2018
Hi,

Hi,

My PR card, Irish passport is in maiden name too. I just sent copy of marriage cert in with application to get my married name on Canadian passport.