+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying For Citizenship From Abroad

Saga1963

May 2, 2018
Hi All,
Can I apply for Canadian Citizenship from out-side Canada?
I landed in Canada as permanent resident in July 2013 and stayed there till Oct 2016 , hence completing 1095 days stay.
Came back to my country of origin in Oct 2016. Now I want to apply for Citizenship.
Can I do that while being out of Canada?
Your kind guidance will be much appreciated.

imm_leb_01

Apr 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 February 2013
AOR Received.
11 April 2013
Med's Request
25 April 2013
Med's Done....
8 May 2013
Interview........
RPRF Request june 18th
Passport Req..
26 February 2014
VISA ISSUED...
5 March 2014
LANDED..........
29 March 2014
Hi All,
I landed in Canada as permanent resident in July 2013 and stayed there till Oct 2016 , hence completing 1095 days stay.
Came back to my country of origin in Oct 2016. Now I want to apply for Citizenship.
Yes you can. There is no rule that you have to be in canada while presenting it

If you have all the requirements you can go ahead and apply

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Of course you need to apply before Oct 2018 to still claim any residency back 5 years and once you have applied be prepared to travel back at short notice if required at any time in the process.

As an aiside you cannot renew your PR card from outside Canada when that expires assume late summer so keep that in mind .

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi All,
The odds of running into, let's call them "challenges," is very high. Odds are substantial that IRCC would require you to solidly document, with objective documentation, your actual presence for at least a full 1095 days. Prospect of severe skepticism looms ominously.

Odds are against benefiting from an inference of presence between date-of-entry and next date-of-exit. This inference is built-in the online presence calculation, and the vast majority of qualified applicants benefit from it, backed up of course by corroborating work and address history, and other corroborating evidence. Meeting the burden of proof without this inference could be, well, as noted, a "challenge."

As far as I am aware, regarding an application for citizenship, IRCC will not mail or send notices abroad. Thus you will need to have a representative in Canada.

There are other logistical pitfalls, such as the need to travel to Canada on short notice mentioned by @Bs65.

For context, many who leave Canada to live abroad AFTER applying tend to run into much difficulty. Applying after leaving, and especially after having left a long while ago, will quite likely be even more challenging, at its best.

Saga1963

May 2, 2018
Thanks to All above for invaluable inputs.
The safe bet, as it appears, would be to apply for Citizenship while befrom inside Canada.
As far PR Card renewal do they call for an interview or just renew it on the basis of application?

Saga1963

May 2, 2018
Hi
I have two dependent kids & they are also currently outside Canada. If I decide to go to Canada for my Citizenship application will it be a MUST for them also to accompany me OR can I go alone and apply for them also along with my Citizenship application without them being physically present there?

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Nobody has successfully done it under the new law, but I remember there are a few people here who submitted in October...you probably won’t hear any success story for another 6 months or so

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks to All above for invaluable inputs.
The safe bet, as it appears, would be to apply for Citizenship while befrom inside Canada.
As far PR Card renewal do they call for an interview or just renew it on the basis of application?
They can call for an "interview' and pick up of card in person.