+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Child benefits (UCCB & CCTB) after landing ?

sarimraza

May 23, 2012
Dear All

I wish to know the correct time to apply for UCCB , CTTB and any other child benefits after landing in Ontario . ..

1. Are there are forms we need to fill before time that we need to submit at immigration ?

2. Can this application process we done AFTER the landing process if completed ?

3. For UCCB I have heard that there is no need to file tax returns to qualify but for CCTB to qualify both spouses need to file return even if there is no income.

4. If We land and leave canada soon, and stay out of country for 2-3 years, but we keep filing our NIL tax return, then will we be eligible still for both the UCCB and CTTB ?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you plan to leave Canada soon after landing and remain outside of Canada for 2-3 years, then you do not qualify for these benefits. Accepting benefits you are not entitled to is fraud. You will be forced to pay them back and will face greater scrutiny in obtaining them once you do qualify. You should not apply for these benefits until you have returned to Canada to live permanently.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agreed. You must be residing in Canada with your child in order to be eligible for these benefits.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
May I add that this is a fraud extremely easy to catch as CRA is directly linked to CBSA and is aware every time you leave the country.

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
Scylla & Leon. I have a similar query and would appreciate receiving your expert comment.
We are returning resident who never settled permanently in Canada before. We made several trips in the last 30 months or so to Canada (after initial landing) and my kids were also born in Toronto (and are Canadian citizens by birth). We are now planning to move permanently to meet the residency obligations (for me and my wife, as we are PRs).

Can you please let me know if we would be eligible to apply for UCCB and CTTB immediately after moving to Canada?

Some relevant information.
1- We have never filed a tax return in Canada.
2- At the time of online birth registration / certificate for my kids, we opted out of the option of any benefits.
Thank you.
scylla said:
If you plan to leave Canada soon after landing and remain outside of Canada for 2-3 years, then you do not qualify for these benefits. Accepting benefits you are not entitled to is fraud. You will be forced to pay them back and will face greater scrutiny in obtaining them once you do qualify. You should not apply for these benefits until you have returned to Canada to live permanently.
Please let me know if there will be any waiting period in my scenario. Thanks.

Leon said:
Agreed. You must be residing in Canada with your child in order to be eligible for these benefits.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There's no problem applying for and collecting benefits after you settle in Canada.

However, if you leave Canada again for longer than a vacation, you should let CRA know that you have left.

Applying for benefits and then leaving and not informing CRA that you have left and continuing to collect benefits while living outside Canada would be considered fraud.

sarimraza

May 23, 2012
Dear Leon and Scylla - Both expert members !

Thanks for your prompt responses.

You specified clearly that one should be present with kids inside canada to receive these benefits -- however what if we visit for 1 month or 2 , do some part time work -- that means we would have to file taxes. If we do file taxes (showing income of both home and canada) for that and each subsequent year then can we qualify for these benefits, even if we later reside abroad ?

What I understand is that you need to file taxes to get these benefits, residing out of canada for considerable amount of time disqualifies you from receiving these benefits ?

Thanks You have been a great help !!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you need to file taxes to receive these benefits.

If you go outside of Canada once in a while for a short holiday (i.e. 2-3 weeks), then you can continue to receive the benefits.

If you leave Canada for several months, then you need to report your departure and can expect the benefits to end while you are outside of the country.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sarimraza said:
Dear Leon and Scylla - Both expert members !

Thanks for your prompt responses.

You specified clearly that one should be present with kids inside canada to receive these benefits -- however what if we visit for 1 month or 2 , do some part time work -- that means we would have to file taxes. If we do file taxes (showing income of both home and canada) for that and each subsequent year then can we qualify for these benefits, even if we later reside abroad ?

What I understand is that you need to file taxes to get these benefits, residing out of canada for considerable amount of time disqualifies you from receiving these benefits ?

Thanks You have been a great help !!
If you are planning on residing part of the year in Canada and a part outside every year and you file taxes in both countries, it is possibly that you could keep your right to receiving benefits in Canada. However, in order to avoid later accusations of fraud, you would have to be 100% informative to CRA about your whereabouts at all times and depending on how much time you spend outside, they may decide to cancel your benefits at any time.

Same goes for health care. In most provinces, you have to spend 6 months a year or 6/12 in order to keep your health care. If you apply for it once and then leave for more than 6 months, you have to notify your health care. It would be easy to get a health card and keep using it because it is still valid but it's not as much fun if you are later accused of health care fraud and have to reimburse the province everything they covered for you.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Leon said:
If you are planning on residing part of the year in Canada and a part outside every year and you file taxes in both countries, it is possibly that you could keep your right to receiving benefits in Canada. However, in order to avoid later accusations of fraud, you would have to be 100% informative to CRA about your whereabouts at all times and depending on how much time you spend outside, they may decide to cancel your benefits at any time.
This is true, but one thing to be careful about is that accepting these benefits could be used by the CRA to deem you a resident of Canada for tax purposes. If this happens, you will have to pay Canadian tax on the income you earn overseas as well. It's a big risk to take!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
This is true, but one thing to be careful about is that accepting these benefits could be used by the CRA to deem you a resident of Canada for tax purposes. If this happens, you will have to pay Canadian tax on the income you earn overseas as well. It's a big risk to take!
That's right of course. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If they want benefits, they better be declaring their world income and paying taxes off of it.