+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for CEC with two different NOC

marinasc

Jan 14, 2020
Hi,

I applied for my PGWP in June 2019 and I want to apply for PR in June 2020. I've been working 28h/week in one job (NOC B) and 8h/week in another job (NOC 0). Is it possible to add both of these as 1 year work experience? I know I can only count up to 30h/week, but those extra 2 hours from my second job would really help.

Reactions: Aneep Kumar

Aneep Kumar

Mar 14, 2018
Ottawa
Hi,

I applied for my PGWP in June 2019 and I want to apply for PR in June 2020. I've been working 28h/week in one job (NOC B) and 8h/week in another job (NOC 0). Is it possible to add both of these as 1 year work experience? I know I can only count up to 30h/week, but those extra 2 hours from my second job would really help.
Yes You Can Do That as long as you can prove that on Company’s official letterhead.

LaFontaine

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
Hi,

I would check if you can actually count the 8hrs/week at all. I believe the guidelines for part time work experience is that it has to be a minimum of 15hrs/week. I'm not sure if it means 15hrs/week both jobs combined OR 15hrs/week per NOC/job. Hopefully it's the first :)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I would check if you can actually count the 8hrs/week at all. I believe the guidelines for part time work experience is that it has to be a minimum of 15hrs/week. I'm not sure if it means 15hrs/week both jobs combined OR 15hrs/week per NOC/job. Hopefully it's the first :)
8 hours a week is quite OK. The website shows 15 hours a week merely as an example of how to count part-time experience. There is no minimum number of part-time hours.

Reactions: LaFontaine

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Yes, exactly, you can combine 2 part-time jobs worked at the same time to earn the equivalent of full-time experience - when you work 2 jobs simultaneously, you add the hours worked per week (max 30).

It does not matter that they are different NOCs. However, I would ask you to double-check the NOC for the NOC O job - I´m having a hard time imagining an 8 hr/week "O" level job.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks! I've double checked the NOC (Assistant Manager) and it seems to be right.
Did you confirm that by looking at the job duties and responsibilities? You should not choose an NOC based on job title, you have to choose based on job duties and responsibilities (as well as the lead statement).

For example, NOC 0621 may show "assistant manager" as a title, but the job duties are:
  • Plan, direct and evaluate the operations of establishments engaged in wholesale and retail sales or of departments in such establishments
  • Manage staff and assign duties
  • Study market research and trends to determine consumer demand, potential sales volumes and effect of competitors' operations on sales
  • Determine merchandise and services to be sold, and implement price and credit policies
  • Source and negotiate with vendors when necessary to procure merchandise for resale
  • Develop and implement marketing strategies
  • Plan budgets, authorize expenditures, and monitor revenues
  • Evaluate and improve customer service and respond to customer requests and issues
  • Address staffing requirements, including the hiring, development and retention of staff
For example, a lot of people who initially choose NOC 0621 based on job title have nothing to do with planning budgets, hiring staff, conducting research or planning strategies. Their job duties better correspond with 6211.

https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Structure/NocProfile/2d23ab09f9304ece93bee5a5bf69f815?objectid=DmdgIHO9djzDF5R2oTbuivsfBvkJo5mU/Su4BV6N8IkvmMIYItHVDlNz7tDvbcW6

Good luck -

Reactions: marinasc

marinasc

Jan 14, 2020
Did you confirm that by looking at the job duties and responsibilities? You should not choose an NOC based on job title, you have to choose based on job duties and responsibilities (as well as the lead statement).

For example, NOC 0621 may show "assistant manager" as a title, but the job duties are:
  • Plan, direct and evaluate the operations of establishments engaged in wholesale and retail sales or of departments in such establishments
  • Study market research and trends to determine consumer demand, potential sales volumes and effect of competitors' operations on sales
  • Determine merchandise and services to be sold, and implement price and credit policies
  • Source and negotiate with vendors when necessary to procure merchandise for resale
  • Evaluate and improve customer service and respond to customer requests and issues
  • Address staffing requirements, including the hiring, development and retention of staff
For example, a lot of people who initially choose NOC 0621 based on job title have nothing to do with planning budgets, hiring staff, conducting research or planning strategies. Their job duties better correspond with 6211.

https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Structure/NocProfile/2d23ab09f9304ece93bee5a5bf69f815?objectid=DmdgIHO9djzDF5R2oTbuivsfBvkJo5mU/Su4BV6N8IkvmMIYItHVDlNz7tDvbcW6

Good luck -
Well, guess I’ll have to triple check now. My job has some responsibilities in the NOC 0621 and some in 6211. There are more people in the company with the same position as me who got their PR through this position so I guess I can confirm with them

marinasc

Jan 14, 2020

Good luck -
Thanks for your help!

Reactions: jes_ON

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Well, guess I’ll have to triple check now. My job has some responsibilities in the NOC 0621 and some in 6211. There are more people in the company with the same position as me who got their PR through this position so I guess I can confirm with them
Unfortunately, since NOCs are not an exact science, it can often depend on the VO...