+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for CAQ within Canada, Where to apply for study permit?

utojamepark

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
Hi I have recently received my offer (postgraduate) for 2020 September intake and would like to start my caq/visa/permit applications now. I am at Canada at the moment and unable to return home for the next 1 or 2 months due to covid-19 travel restrictions. I figure it might be a good idea to at least receive my CAQ here in Canada so I don't have to rush for my study permit when I return to my home country.
However, I am a bit confused about step 6 additional information section of the CAQ online application form

Specify the Canadian government office to which you will apply for a study permit.
- port of entry (border crossing or airport)
- citizenship and immigration Canada, (Vegreville, Alberta, Canada)
- Canadian visa office abroad
I understand that if I were to apply for my study permit in my home country I would have to choose 'Canadian visa office abroad'. But I am currently also considering the possibility of doing it within Canada and might actually choose to go this path, because it might be too late to apply when I return to my home country.

So my questions are:
1. which 1 of the 3 options should I choose here? option 1 port of entry? So I will have to travel to the US and return immediately to collect my study permit? (providing the travel ban has been lifted)
2. what if i change my mind? e.g. tick option 1 port of entry here but end up applying it from home country, or tick option 3 candian visa office abroad but end up applying it within canada. in either case, what should I do? start the application all over again?

any advice would be appreciated!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi I have recently received my offer (postgraduate) for 2020 September intake and would like to start my caq/visa/permit applications now. I am at Canada at the moment and unable to return home for the next 1 or 2 months due to covid-19 travel restrictions. I figure it might be a good idea to at least receive my CAQ here in Canada so I don't have to rush for my study permit when I return to my home country.
However, I am a bit confused about step 6 additional information section of the CAQ online application form

I understand that if I were to apply for my study permit in my home country I would have to choose 'Canadian visa office abroad'. But I am currently also considering the possibility of doing it within Canada and might actually choose to go this path, because it might be too late to apply when I return to my home country.

So my questions are:
1. which 1 of the 3 options should I choose here? option 1 port of entry? So I will have to travel to the US and return immediately to collect my study permit? (providing the travel ban has been lifted)
2. what if i change my mind? e.g. tick option 1 port of entry here but end up applying it from home country, or tick option 3 candian visa office abroad but end up applying it within canada. in either case, what should I do? start the application all over again?

any advice would be appreciated!
You don't qualify to apply within Canada or at a POE. You must apply to a VO outside of Canada.

utojamepark

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
You don't qualify to apply within Canada or at a POE. You must apply to a VO outside of Canada.
thanks for the reply.
even if I leave Canada to apply for the permit in later months, might be in my home country or in Los Angeles, but for now with the CAQ application, can I just tick one location and then change to another one with the permit application? e.g. tick home country in CAQ application for now, but submit my permit application in Los Angeles or vice versa?
I am not sure where I will be at when applying for the permit, but for now, I want to get my CAQ asap within Canada
thanks

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
thanks for the reply.
even if I leave Canada to apply for the permit in later months, might be in my home country or in Los Angeles, but for now with the CAQ application, can I just tick one location and then change to another one with the permit application? e.g. tick home country in CAQ application for now, but submit my permit application in Los Angeles or vice versa?
I am not sure where I will be at when applying for the permit, but for now, I want to get my CAQ asap within Canada
thanks
I don't know, not familiar with the CAQ process.

daijia

Jan 29, 2018
Hi,

Have you asked the International Student Office of your university?

I have seen people asking about this in the forum of our university (UdeM). I see a lot of people who are doing this (Applying within in Canada), chose "citizenship and immigration Canada", which for me is also the most reasonable choice because for sure the rest two don't fit your situation. But honestly, I am going to choose this because eventually, you will send your documents to CIC instead of a visa office or port of entry

However, I would strongly recommend you to ask your International Student Office to get a more accurate office, or maybe post this question in ur university forum (if any). You don't want to have any mistakes

daijia

Jan 29, 2018
thanks for the reply.
thanks
I don't know if this really matters. I think they do send a copy to the option you chose in the aforementioned question. However, after all, when you apply, you still need to provide a copy of CAQ anyway. So I don't think it really matters since no matter what you would need to put CAQ along with your other documents to apply for your study permit