+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Canadian passport from India

abhica

Jun 7, 2023
Hello everyone,

I am seeking some advice and information regarding applying for a Canadian passport from India. Here are my current circumstances:

1. I am an Indian citizen.
2. I applied for my Canadian citizenship.
3. I will be joining a new contract job for 10 months in Luxembourg starting from August 2024, which is a remote position. I will be working from India for the entire duration of this job.
4. I will be flying to Canada to attend my citizenship oath ceremony.
5. After the oath ceremony, I will leave my rental apartment in Canada so I will have no Canadian address for 10 months.
6. I plan to return to India immediately after the oath ceremony to continue working on my Luxembourg job remotely.
7. I have opted for the e-certificate of my Canadian citizenship, so I will receive it via email.

I have read that it is possible to apply for a Canadian passport from India, but I wanted to confirm if this is true and could anyone share their experiences, timelines, and the process involved in applying for a Canadian passport from India? Any detailed information or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022
Hello everyone,

I am seeking some advice and information regarding applying for a Canadian passport from India. Here are my current circumstances:

1. I am an Indian citizen.
2. I applied for my Canadian citizenship.
3. I will be joining a new contract job for 10 months in Luxembourg starting from August 2024, which is a remote position. I will be working from India for the entire duration of this job.
4. I will be flying to Canada to attend my citizenship oath ceremony.
5. After the oath ceremony, I will leave my rental apartment in Canada so I will have no Canadian address for 10 months.
6. I plan to return to India immediately after the oath ceremony to continue working on my Luxembourg job remotely.
7. I have opted for the e-certificate of my Canadian citizenship, so I will receive it via email.

I have read that it is possible to apply for a Canadian passport from India, but I wanted to confirm if this is true and could anyone share their experiences, timelines, and the process involved in applying for a Canadian passport from India? Any detailed information or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!
The question is how long you stay in Canada after your oath. If one week, you should be able to get an e-certificate and Passport here in Canada. There is an expedited service called " urgent pick up" by which you can get a passport in next business day ( for an extra fee).... Let the officer you meet during oath know your urgency. They might issue an e-certificate very Quickly.

Well, then the question is how to get back to India...:)

Last edited:

abhica

Jun 7, 2023
The question is how long you stay in Canada after your oath. If one week, you should be able to get an e-certificate and Passport here in Canada. There is an expedited service called " urgent pick up" by which you can get a passport in next business day ( for an extra fee).... Let the officer you meet during oath know your urgency. They might issue an e-certificate very Quickly.

Well, then the question is how to get back to India...:)
Thank you for your response. I am aware of the expedited "urgent pick-up" service for obtaining a passport in Canada and the possibility of receiving my e-certificate and passport within a week of my oath ceremony.

However, due to my specific circumstances and plans to return to India immediately after my oath ceremony, I would still like to explore the option of applying for a Canadian passport from India. If anyone has experience with this process or can provide detailed information on how it works, I would greatly appreciate it.