+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Canadian Passport after Oath Ceremony (And Guarantor question)

hello2adi

Star Member
Nov 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-Mar-2012
AOR Received.
28-Jun-2012
Med's Done....
30-Dec-2011
Passport Req..
24-Jul-2012 (Got a wrong req, so sent PP only on 3rd sep)
Can anyone post their experiences regarding applying for the passport after the oath ceremony in terms of how much time it takes at the passport office, how much time to get the passport, any weird experiences with delivery of passport, etc.

Also, I was looking up the application forms and they talk about guarantors. Unfortunately, I dont know many people who belong to professions listed for a guarantor. ANy pointers for that?

MCBoy

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Guarantor is not a profession, any Canadian citizen, 18+ age, who holds a passport (related to you or not) can act as a guarantor.
2. Normally it takes about 1-2 weeks.

The form is available at most canada post centres, just fill it out, get someone you know (atleast 2 years) who is a Candian citizen over the age of 18, to fill the guarantor section, submit it at the nearest passport office along with a photo (walmart/costco).

desi_jatt

Star Member
Feb 2, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
hello2adi said:
Can anyone post their experiences regarding applying for the passport after the oath ceremony in terms of how much time it takes at the passport office, how much time to get the passport, any weird experiences with delivery of passport, etc.
It depends how long is the que. At counter, not more than 3-5 mins if everything is in order.

hello2adi said:
Also, I was looking up the application forms and they talk about guarantors. Unfortunately, I dont know many people who belong to professions listed for a guarantor. ANy pointers for that?
Go 2 ur family doctor.they can sign for u

hello2adi

Star Member
Nov 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-Mar-2012
AOR Received.
28-Jun-2012
Med's Done....
30-Dec-2011
Passport Req..
24-Jul-2012 (Got a wrong req, so sent PP only on 3rd sep)
Thanks Guys.
I think I read the wrong section in the passport canada website.

In the section for Non Canadians in Canada, it says that the guarantor has to be of one of the following professions;
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/info/section2.aspx?lang=eng&region=NonCA

"
Eligible guarantors

Your guarantor must:

Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident living in Canada and be accessible to Passport Canada for verification.
Have known you personally for at least six months.
Be one of the following:
Chiropractor
Dentist
Judge
Lawyer (member of a provincial bar association), notary in Quebec
Magistrate
Mayor
Medical doctor
Minister of religion authorized under provincial law to perform marriages
Notary public
Optometrist
Pharmacist
Police officer (municipal, provincial or RCMP)
Postmaster
Principal of a primary or secondary school
Professional accountant (APA, CA, CGA, CMA, PA, RPA)
Professional engineer (P.Eng., Eng. in Quebec)
Senior administrator in a community college (includes CEGEPs)
Senior administrator or teacher in a university
Veterinarian
"

proxy

Dec 4, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I heard some people have a hard time finding a guarantor. On another forum, someone said their doctor of many years refused to be guarantor, citing privacy concerns (people don't like giving out their passport number).

I suppose if a family is going to get passports, you only need one family member to find a guarantor. Once that person gets a passport (1-2 weeks), he/she can be a guarantor of the rest of the family applications. Is this correct?

confused1234

May 6, 2013
hello2adi said:
Thanks Guys.
I think I read the wrong section in the passport canada website.

In the section for Non Canadians in Canada, it says that the guarantor has to be of one of the following professions;

"
Eligible guarantors

Your guarantor must:

Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident living in Canada and be accessible to Passport Canada for verification.
Have known you personally for at least six months.
Be one of the following:
Chiropractor
Dentist
Judge
Lawyer (member of a provincial bar association), notary in Quebec
Magistrate
Mayor
Medical doctor
Minister of religion authorized under provincial law to perform marriages
Notary public
Optometrist
Pharmacist
Police officer (municipal, provincial or RCMP)
Postmaster
Principal of a primary or secondary school
Professional accountant (APA, CA, CGA, CMA, PA, RPA)
Professional engineer (P.Eng., Eng. in Quebec)
Senior administrator in a community college (includes CEGEPs)
Senior administrator or teacher in a university
Veterinarian
"
That is confusing.

Once you get Citizenship...are you not a Canadian in Canada? What is a Non-Canadian in Canada??

confused1234

May 6, 2013
I found the answer here

Non-Canadian in Canada

Travel documents are issued to residents of Canada who are:

Convention Refugees
Protected Persons
Stateless Persons
Permanent Residents for less than 3 years who are unable to obtain a national passport for a valid reason

(replace dot with . For some reason I cannot post links here)
www dot ppt dot gc dot ca/info/section2.aspx?lang=eng&region=NonCA

So I guess we can safely ignore it. All new citizens need is to choose someone from one "Canadians in Canada". So a friend should do it.

desi_jatt

Star Member
Feb 2, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Check the link http://www.ppt.gc.ca/info/section2.aspx?lang=eng&region=Canada

Eligible guarantors

Your guarantor must:

Hold a 5-year or 10-year Canadian passport that is valid .Footnote 2 or has been expired for no more than one year, on the day you submit your application;
Have known you (the applicant) personally for at least two (2) years.
In the case of a child, the guarantor must have known you (the parent or legal guardian who is applying on behalf of the child) personally for at least two (2) years and must have knowledge of the child;
Be a Canadian citizen 18 years of age or older;
Have been 16 years of age or older when he or she applied for his or her own passport;
Provide the requested information contained in his or her passport;
Be accessible to Passport Canada for verification;

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello2adi said:

Hello I applied passport for my daughter.

For guarantors, you will only need to find someone who has known you more than 3 years and is Canadian to sign. This person does not have to belong to any profession.

Newbie2014

Feb 10, 2014
proxy said:
I heard some people have a hard time finding a guarantor. On another forum, someone said their doctor of many years refused to be guarantor, citing privacy concerns (people don't like giving out their passport number).

I suppose if a family is going to get passports, you only need one family member to find a guarantor. Once that person gets a passport (1-2 weeks), he/she can be a guarantor of the rest of the family applications. Is this correct?
From reading the website material, it looks like you are correct: http://www.pptc.gc.ca/info/section2.aspx
"A family member or any individual residing at your address may be your guarantor provided he or she meets the specified requirements."

Also, the website states:
"If you have not known an eligible guarantor for at least two years, complete form PPTC 132 "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor""
Here's an old thread where people discuss their experiences with it: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/declaration-lieu-guarantor-439265/

MR Stephen Harper

Jan 12, 2014
hello2adi said:

READ THE PASSPORT APPLICATION GUIDE.