24-12-2009
Passport Req..
08-04-2010
VISA ISSUED...
19-04-2010
LANDED..........
29-08-2010
Dear All.

It's been a while since I posted a topic on here, but you guys have always been so helpful in the past. Therefore you're my first point of call when I need an answer to a not-so-easy question.

I am a Canadian resident. My spouse is a Canadian citizen and therefore my sponsor. We have been living in Canada since August 2010, so I am just over 2 years into my residency obligation. Now before moving here we lived abroad. The thing is we're both considering moving abroad again because I have a job offer that might help progress my career. However, I'd like to obtain Canadian citizenship before embarking on that because say in a few years time we decide to move back to Canada we don't want to go through the residency paperwork again.

I am aware that any time we spend together outside of Canada is considered part of my residency, as right now I've met the 2 out of 5 years and say we go and live outside of Canada for 2 years then come back then I'm fine (correct?) but what I want to know is say we move next month, then as of August 2013 I will be eligible to apply for my citizenship. The thing is will I be able to apply for that whilst outside of Canada? Technically since we're together I'll have completed 3 years (2 in the country, 1 year outside). Does this make sense? Any help/clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need 1095 days (3 years) in Canada as a PR in order to be able to apply for citizenship. Time with a Canadian spouse outside Canada does not count towards the citizenship requirements unless your spouse is Canadian military or works for the government. Second, you must be living in Canada when you apply. Third, even though you can leave right after applying, it is disputed if it is actually safe to do that. Citizenship processing is taking longer and longer these days and they are very worried about fraudulent applications. If you apply with exactly 3 years in Canada and then leave the country, they may be worried that you are just after the passport because it is convenient and that you have no intention of living in Canada in the future which means they are more likely to do a residency questionnaire to make you prove that you really stayed 1095 days plus your application will take forever.

Therefore I advise, if you want citizenship, apply with 1200 days and stay in Canada until you get it.

camarsden

Dec 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
AOR Received.
01-04-2010
Med's Done....
24-12-2009
Passport Req..
08-04-2010
VISA ISSUED...
19-04-2010
LANDED..........
29-08-2010
Hey Leon,

Thanks so much for clearing that up. Deep down I thought that might be case, because if it wasn't then it would be too easy to become a citizen/obtain a passport. Having said that though, if we decided to go abroad then I can still maintain my residency as long as I'm with my spouse, correct? I don't necessarily need to get citizenship do I?

Thanks again for your help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right, for PR residency requirements, a day accompanying your Canadian spouse outside Canada counts as a day in Canada.

moazbhutta

May 28, 2013
Dear Leon i am in a similar situation however with a twist :)

here it goes

I came to Canada to Study from August 2004-December 2007

Then from December 2007-till sept 2009 i was doing odd jobs with a few months ( 5 months of a call center stint) rest was on cash jobs (during this time i obtained the worker visa for canada as i had graduated from Toronto) so total approx 5 years give and take in total spent in Canada

May 2010 I got married and applied for my immigration to Canada with my wife as sponsor

I finally got my landing done in 2013 february and i am back to UAE :)

a few questions if i haven't confused you yet

As per your reply above one must stay in canada for approx 3 years to apply for citizenship

however in your last reply *and as i understand it as well* time spent with spouse even out side canada is considered a day in Canada

that seems contradictory as then i should be able to apply for citizenship after 3 years weather i live in or outside Canada

Also on this link from CIC

cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=355&t=5 and i quote " have lived in Canada for at least 1,095 days in the four years before the date you sign your application (time spent residing in Canada prior to acquiring permanent residence counts as a half day of residence "

so the 2nd part of sentence would mean then approx 5 years i spent in canada before filing for immigration should count towards my citizenship correct? so that would be approx 900+ days

if you can answer these it would be awesome

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
moazbhutta said:
As per your reply above one must stay in canada for approx 3 years to apply for citizenship

however in your last reply *and as i understand it as well* time spent with spouse even out side canada is considered a day in Canada

that seems contradictory as then i should be able to apply for citizenship after 3 years weather i live in or outside Canada
You have misunderstood Leon's answer. He was talking about two different residency obligations: PR vs. citizenship.

For citizenship, you must spend 3 out of 4 years living in Canada. Time spent living outside of Canada with your Canadian citizenship spouse does not count unless they work for the Canadian military or government.

To maintain PR status, you must live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 years. Time spent living outside of Canada with your Canadian citizenship spouse counts towards this total.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
moazbhutta said:
so the 2nd part of sentence would mean then approx 5 years i spent in canada before filing for immigration should count towards my citizenship correct? so that would be approx 900+ days
You can count the two (2) years before you became a PR towards your citizenship residency obligation of 1095 days. Each day before you became a PR counts as only 1/2 a day towards your citizenship residency obligation.

Reactions: moazbhutta